my first ratsun post about my first Datsun ('73 620)

nemo

Hello folks,

Here are a few pics of a recent addition to the family...  a 1973 PL620 with original everything. 

http://imgur.com/a/nDA9L#1

Introducing myself here, I'm a novice when it comes to rebuilds but am looking forward to my new hobby.  If you happen to live in the north Atlanta area and want to stop by, send me a PM and maybe we can put something together.  At this point I don't know what I don't know. Happy to throw something on the grill and talk strategy with a mentor.

The first order business is to rebuild the carb and repair the front brakes.  The engine starts with a little encouragement and the guy that sold it to me (original owner) recommended a carb rebuild.  Regarding the brakes, it pulls hard to the left at speed and needs some new shoes/springs.  That should have her reliably back on the road.  

About the rust situation... everything is in great condition aside from the passenger floorpan which is pretty damn ugly.  Maybe there is a windshield leak? Addressing the situation is my next priority. Before purchase I did read a thread here that said if the rust extended to the cab mount it spells trouble, but I figure it's not insurmountable.  I'm guessing maybe I can effect a temporary solution with fiberglass and then plan to find someone with the right welding skills.  Naive optimist?

Other than that everything is cool.  All electrics work great and the owner passed along a few spare goodies including two rears and a transmission.  Long term I'm looking forward to taking the end-to-end status to the next level and educating myself via an engine rebuild. I imagine it's going to take a few years and I expect to have a lot of fun along the way.

PS - pics also include our new dog which arrived on the same day as the truck  

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

paYY800.jpg

Nice lookin' early 620! Slots are period correct and that stripe looks correct also. Have always loved the '73 fender emblem. They should have kept it and added DATSUN1800 and DATSUN2000

Rusty body above the cab mounts can cause the cab to sink down onto the frame. I doubt this is a problem without looking on the floors in the four corners. Fiberglass won't fix and will be 10x harder to get rid of later. I'd wait an see.

• Like 2

Progress made. Rebuilt carb (Holly 5200), new manifold intake gasket, valve cover gasket, plugs, oil, fuel filter, etc... Hainz's rust solution worked perfectly. Waiting on a thermostat gasket and need to rebuild brakes. Can't wait to get on the road!

5A46709C-7DBE-44BE-A44C-DC5AF6AB3253_zps

27AD4E96-4D64-4194-9A6F-9B480DD0161B_zps

10252F5D-5B18-4B2C-A820-56ADFF0C4FB5_zps

EDIT (fixed links)

To post pictures, just click on the link for IMG. A little bubble will appear that says "copied", go back to the Ratsun window and past the link directly in your post. I would recommend leaving a space or two between each picture. 

Great looking truck BTW!