720zx Time to finish it

720zx

I have been reading threads on Ratsun for a while and thought its about time I mentioned my build that I started years ago but typically never got round to finish. Due to a house move I dug it out the garage and have decided to get it finished.

Just a quick history lesson. First ever car was a 1979 280zx. Due to the English weather I chased the rust from one end to the other and after three re-sprays decided I was losing the battle so stripped it completely with the thought of finding a donor to put it in.

Enter the Datsun 720. Purchased off a friend for £75 who then bought the original 1800 engine back for £50. So £25 for another bag of rust wasn’t too bad.

I have read several threads about putting an L28 into a 720 and there have been mixed reactions. Anyway after lots of man hours this is where I am so far.

What do you think???

Hope the pictures work!!!!

2012-12-18164918_zps30d91cbe.jpg

2012-12-18165005_zps9da87aab.jpg

2012-12-18165111_zps9a2e78fe.jpg

2012-12-18165135_zpsa0ca4f8f.jpg

2012-12-18165151_zps49eb90b0.jpg

2012-12-18165038_zps7e6ab9b9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your kind words Mike, I to had to look them up. Ha!!!

Yes it is the original ZX rad, had it re-cored and shortened by 3" to fit. Also brazed in a fitting to accept a temp switch for the electric fan.

I do have an original grill but will be making my own to suit the 7" round headlights. (Hope that answers one of your questions Wayno)

To answer WI 720 Question. As Mike mentioned the dash is from the ZX. Fits pretty neat after cutting the front radius and fabricating the transmission tunnel to support the centre console.

I did use the ZX wiring harness only to chop up so to keep the colour coding right. Re-wired the truck from scratch using all components needed from the ZX. It is 95% complete only front and rear lights to finish. I need to finish the flip front and make a back before that though. 

And Guam671 it is automatic because it was born like that. Ha. No really these things are as rare as rocking horse s--t this side of the pond so changing the box was a none starter. Plus it made making a pedal box easier. 

• Like 1

A bit more history. Due to the amount of rust the whole floor, transmission tunnel, sills and fire wall were cut out and re made.  With doing so there was nothing left to hang the wings off. That is why I had to make the flip front. It is mounted on a box section frame that pivots on home made hinges bolted to the chassis.

I want the under side of the flip front to be as good as the out side so done some work on it and decided to cut out and fill in the vents. Also fill the holes and edges of the inner frame. I'm going to fill some of the openings in the front spoiler.

What do you think?

2013-04-26180950_zpse47ed5d7.jpg

2013-04-26181007_zpsb78cba3a.jpg

2013-05-08161605_zpsbe49e81a.jpg

2013-05-08161515_zpscaf8e5a8.jpg

2013-05-08161627_zps3bbbda8a.jpg

2013-05-22121928_zps35b3e283.jpg

• Like 1

The vents in the scuttle panel are still there and are completely open to the engine as I cut the front piece (where the wiper motor lived) out. The wiper motor and linkages have been replaced with a single wiper unit from a fiat. But I am only hopeful that there will be no heat issues.

• Like 1

That was a one year hood, there were no functional vents from 81-86, and them 2 plastic vents on the 81/82 were cosmetic, yes one of them was a small vent, but the other was solid, I used to have a set, should have taken a photo of them, from 83 on there were no holes of any kind in the hood even with a larger engine(Z24).

You do good work.  :thumbup:

Thankyou   :thumbup:

here wayno
CAM00740_zpsbjknkcoh.jpg

CAM00742_zpsq2gdxrda.jpg

I have always wondered why the one had functioning holes in it, I suppose one could have connected the airfilter housing to it, but the chances of water going in it were good, so I just could not see hooking it there.

As I said in the past, Datsun/Nissan likely seen something like these on a race car/truck somewhere and they incorporated it in to the hood thinking it might sell some trucks, in the big picture I wonder if it really helped sell anything.

Did the Z cars have something like these plastic vents anywhere on the hood?

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of progress on the flip front....

1_zps564fdc26.jpg

Fill it. Then rub it back off !!

2_zps60c47394.jpg

Lashed a bit of primer on.

3_zps08aecc7b.jpg

4_zps6687bd9e.jpg

5_zpsf7f3aaf7.jpg

6_zpse54fbac5.jpg

Filling some holes in.

7_zps43f9a481.jpg

Welding in some mesh.

8_zps7e8b8612.jpg

More filling and rubbing

9_zps5b901a37.jpg

10_zpsa983b792.jpg

11_zps0de4ee93.jpg

Looking a lot better

• Like 3

Well done sir. Love that you kept everything under the 'hood'. :thumbup:

I assume flatbed due to the lack of bed availability? 

Yes it will be a flat bed as the original one died of cancer years ago.

I have already made a box section frame for the back but I'm not sure if I like it. My first thoughts were to have the bed low and the wheel arches through it but now I'm thinking of raising the bed above the wheels. Does anyone have opinions on this?

Wheel and tyre size is also a concern and will have an effect on the bed / arch height. I am no expert on this but due to the different diff ratios from the 280zx and the 720 (3.54:1 and 4.1:1 approx) to keep the speedo accuracy I reckon I would need a tyre diameter of approx 29" (correct me if I'm wrong) giving the truck a raked look. What do you guys think of that or is it old hat.

It really depends on what your going to do with it, I have a flatbed and it has only 3 1/2 inches clearance with basically bald tires, so it has less clearance with good tires, I haul mass amounts of weight all the time, but I have 2 extra leafs in my leaf packs, plus overload coil over shocks, and airbags if I am hauling something really heavy, my tires hardly ever hit the flatbed boards.

DSCN0407.JPG

My truck is purpose built for my job, the flatbed was made as low as I could get it, as I shovel debris into it everyday I work, lower is easier.

That said I do drive it empty all the time, yes it is firm, but not uncomfortable to drive with the extra leafs, I do not have air in the bags very often, they are there for when I do need them.

If you are not going to haul much then you can make you flatbed height whatever you choose, if you use metal for the bed, you can get it another 1 1/4 inches lower than mine as I used 2X8 inch boards for mine(cheaper), my flatbed deck height is 29 1/2 inches at the rear wheels, my truck is also a dually that has 14 inch rims, I did everything I could to keep it low.

DSCN0873.JPG

And I do haul heavy loads, it's a functioning flatbed, that above is 1 ton(2000lbs), it's hard to say what the load weighed below.

DSCN0393.JPG

You can correct your speedo reading by using the needed speedo drive gear, you just have to figure out which one is needed.

th_Speedocogs%255B1%255D.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks!! More pictures to come soon.

There is lots of discussion of lowering the front end by 2 or more inches. Surely this can only be determined if you know where you are starting from. Mine was wound up in the air when I got it so dropping it by 2" may still be higher than standard.

Can anyone tell me what the original ride height of a 2wd 720 is?