carb swap

hatch

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not gonna comment on running, as I don't know, but legally for smog, prolly won't pass visual. If it looks the same you'll be fine, but they see any custom fuel routing, they'll fail it unfortunately, even if its perfectly fine for emissions. Like I said, not sure if you'll have to deal with that or not, more just an advisory warning than anything else.

Your carb works, keep it.

The Z24 is 20% larger engine the jetting won't be good. The idle mixture screw is sealed at the factory and not adjustable. If a California carb it will be an electronic feedback with an O2 sensor and an ECU to control it.  I think skip the idea.

If you just have to, get a new 32/36 weber replacement. If you have to have smog tests forget this as it will never pass

The weber gives a small, but best of all, noticeable performance increase. If your current carb has problems then even more. Mileage can approach the the old Hitachi but not equal it. The weber will not be visually or smog check legal so don't throw the original carb away.

Best results are a direct replacement from Redline. About $300 but you get the manifold adapter, gaskets, air filter everything needed. No sense getting someone's problem weber on line that has missing parts from being rebuilt 6 times and is 30 years old... or worse a Chinese knock-off.

• Like 1

Would you notice?  That depends on many factors.  A good, new or at least clean and not worn out Weber will outperform a worn out Hitachi, but a worn out Weber will act generally as bad as a worn out stock carb.  Sometimes worse, as the aluminum body wears out faster than the cast-iron throttle body of the Hitachi.  Hitachis are quite a bit harder to rebuild, or at least rebuild right, as they're almost twice as complicated.

I've found Webers to have certain.. differences in relation to the Hitachi.  Webers seem to allow the engine to pull better, but not right off idle.   The Weber will bog if you get into it too much whereas Hitachis in good condition almost  never do.  Means rolling into the throttle, not stabbing it.  A lot of that is jetting- most folks who have them don't fine tune them (they are usually jetted too large for a 2.0L engine from the factory) but engine condition, tune, and timing all play into the right tuning.  There's no "one size fits all" setup.  The Hitachi, when new, was a compromise between performance, economy, and emissions, but did very well at that.  The Weber will never pass a visual smog inspection, and if left with factory jetting may not pass tailpipe either (though many times it will, failing visual is far worse as that can't be waived). 

That being said, I replace my Hitachis when they wear out with Webers.  All my L-series trucks have Webers, but all my wagons still run stock Hitachis.

The weber gives noticeable performance gains, and is much easier to tune than the Hitachi IMO.

And with some jet tuning, you can get it to perform how you want. Datsunaholic sounds like he has his tuned on the lean side, giving it the bog on the bottom, but with better top end. I tuned mine very slightly rich for slightly better torque as I actually haul stuff with my 521.

The weber is also simpler making it easier to clean if needed, and also less to go wrong.

Keep in mind power gains, might be noticeable, but aren't huge. It's not gonna go from 120bhp to 150bhp. From what I've read, it's an average of about 5bhp gains (someone correct me if I'm wrong there). But any power is good right?

• Like 1

I noticed a pretty good amount of power added with my weber.

When racing my friend who has a civic, yeah go ahead and laugh fellas, but he use to pull on me and be GONE, but now when we race I actually keep up, and for a minute in 3rd gear I pull away, once I'm in 4th and 5th he catches up and starts to get in front tho..

Much faster than before tho.

I noticed a pretty good amount of power added with my weber.

When racing my friend who has a civic, yeah go ahead and laugh fellas, but he use to pull on me and be GONE, but now when we race I actually keep up, and for a minute in 3rd gear I pull away, once I'm in 4th and 5th he catches up and starts to get in front tho..

Much faster than before tho.

A Honduh Shitvic beat you? I hope it is a built one! My truck bone stock would beat souped up Silverados and F150's on take off all day long up until 55-60mph.

The Weber gives a small, but best of all, noticeable performance increase. If your current carb has problems then even more. Mileage can approach the the old Hitachi but not equal it. The weber will not be visually or smog check legal so don't throw the original carb away.

Best results are a direct replacement from Redline. About $300 but you get the manifold adapter, gaskets, air filter everything needed. No sense getting someone's problem Weber on line that has missing parts from being rebuilt 6 times and is 30 years old... or worse a Chinese knock-off.

5257923+_2202ca75470304ff347209073b44cb2

That is the problem I ran into with the used Weber I pulled from a junkyard! It rebuilt fine, but parts to rebuild and repair it along with buying each individual part I need to make it work was expensive! Almost as much as just buying a damn new one with a kit!

• 2 weeks later...

I upped to the 38/38 weber and there was a noticeable change. The truck is a lot more fun to drive. Keep in mind, I spent about 2 months tracking down every vacuum leak I could before I switched out. After switching out it took me about a month of continual tuning to get it running like a raped ape.