Megasquart EFI on L18

I did a search first but did not see anything . I would like to EFI my L18 . I have a stock EFI intake from a early L18. I have a  distributor from a1980 200sx and T BODY I think could work . can anyone tell me what MS kit to buy .I would like to buy a kit once that could be used for upgrades like a turbo but for now just run a stock motor . am told it's a bitch on the configuration if anyone has knowledge of how to do that as well . please any info would be helpful .Thanks

• Like 1
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Californian S110 200sx has dual plug head so I assume you have the federal dizzy with only four plug wires? Doesn't the Megasquirt have provision for a CAS or EDIS wheel on the crank? Does it not allow for crank fired ignition? or am I thinking of something else?

Thanks Mike for the reply .

I do have the 4 plug wire dizzy maybe it's from a 720 pickup  . And when I called a MS supplier and asked if I could do a crank fire he told me keep it simple use the dizzy and then convert over .ha told me he never did a Datsun MS kit before . and to ask around  to see what others used 

Mike K

No, only the '80 (non California) Z20E 200sx had the 4 plug dizzy. All '80 California and then ALL '81 Z20Es and even later Z22Es had 8 plug.

The Z20S and Z22S engines used in the 720 were all '81 and up and 8 plug.

The Z20S used in the '80 A10 were 4 plug. All California and '81 on had 8 plugs. (pretty much the same as the Z20E above)

If you find a Z20 engines always check for the 4 wire dizzys. They are very collectible and will work on any year L16/18/20B. I've had two and passed them on where they would otherwise have gone to waste. ALWAYS get the base pedestal where it bolts to the timing cover with it.

Perhaps Magasquirt can use the dizzy coil signal as a CAS?

I have the MS3X with map daddy... I bought it about 6 months ago and that was about the best they had at the time... you can do the EDIS setup. It would probably be easier to be honest. I'm doing the KA swap and using the special disk they make for the distributor to fire coil packs that came off an LS2 engine. There are tons of write ups on how to do the EDIS system. Its not really going to matter to much about the car you're putting it in. it should all be a similar set up... and since your taking a non EFI engine and making it EFI you're pretty much starting from the bottom up anyways.

Are you trying to use a coil pack setup? depending on what you're trying to accomplish will determine how you want to use the distributor, if at all.

But I would recommend if you plan on upgrading the setup later to get what I got. you could pretty much do anything you would ever need to do with the MS3X (MegaSquirt 3 w/ expansion board I believe is what it was) with map daddy... its probably over kill actually but I like knowing I have the option

I would recommend capping the distributor and doing the EDIS set up... I think your biggest hassle is going to be tuning the car... finding a good base tune. but you can also use the MS to only manage the fuel and let the distributor work the way it normally would. But I believe the MS has to be wired up for that specifically.

or if you do what I'm going to do, provided your distributor is able to... you only use the distributor to send a signal to the MS that then fires off coil packs. you wont use any spark plug wires off the distributor for that set up and you can find just about any coil packs you want.

I need to read back into everything because I've been so involved with the rebuild of the engine I haven't been worrying about the ignition system for a while. but ill try and share with you what I've stumbled across or at least give my recommendations in routes to take with certain parts... I feel like I repeated myself a few times but I hope that helped a little

you can trigger MS with points if you had to. need a map sensor tps sensor coolant temp and intake temp.  you can even wire in a gm hei module to fire your coil if needed  just got to do a lot of reading to find what works best.  you can run just about any engine with microsquirt but if full size is what your after get ms2 or 3

Thanks guys .  I was told MS3 would be over kill by the vendor that I talked to .He had not done a Datsun EFI setup but told me to go with MS1 pro and to get the igniter kit and  buy a MSD box to fire the dizzy .I would like to buy one right  kit the first time. need to see why you could not use the stock coil .

The dizzy I have came off a L20B. 2 wire electronic pickup inside could be from 1980 720 pickup not the NAP motor

my other question is can MS1 2 OR 3 be setup for auto tune I see that a wideband 02 sensor can be used but does MS support that option ?

microsquirt is compact and capable it is MS2 $349 +/- with harness.  I'm using one to run my 2.3t ford.  It is wallet sized and water resistant.  down side is you have only two injector wires so semi sequential is best you can get with 4 cyl.

"my other question is can MS1 2 OR 3 be setup for auto tune I see that a wideband 02 sensor can be used but does MS support that option" ?

Auto tune is available if you buy the registered version of tunerstudio  It is called VE analyze live it works real well as long as you know your target AFR it does the rest.  It is $50 I think.

well did a lot of reading  and  it's not that hard to EFI something . I like the kit that's a plug and play for the KA24E and KA24DE just plugs in with the stock harness .

Am going with the MS2  looks like a faster processor . they  recommend to ditch the MAF and run a GM air temp sensor in front of the intake tube. everything other then that looks like you can use the Nissan sensors you just have to calibrate them to MS unit

understanding how to configure  thats a different story .well I have a lot of work ahead of me before that happens . Thanks guys

well did a lot of reading  and  it's not that hard to EFI something . I like the kit that's a plug and play for the KA24E and KA24DE just plugs in with the stock harness .

Am going with the MS2  looks like a faster processor . they  recommend to ditch the MAF and run a GM air temp sensor in front of the intake tube. everything other then that looks like you can use the Nissan sensors you just have to calibrate them to MS unit

understanding how to configure  thats a different story .well I have a lot of work ahead of me before that happens . Thanks guys

from my experience... you might want to change your coolant temp to a gm sensor as well. that way your 2 temp sensors use the same thermistor values.  and calibration will be as easy as selecting GM sensors in a drop down menu. 

good point . Am thinking all the sensors should be GM  other then the TPS that's fitted to the NISSAN intake am going to pick a part to see what Tbodys are fitted to a GM intakes maybe I can find something that will bolt up to my Nissan manifold and everything would be GM  .SVO521  is this what you did with your Ford power plant ?

Im using gm Intake temp, coolant temp and map sensor.  I'm using the ford TPS.   Most TPS sensors operate in the 1-5 volt range (.9 closed. around  5 WOT I have heard of some that work backwards but never experienced it myself, again another drop down menu with calibration simply click on "get current" while at closed throttle and than again for open throttle and Bam TPS is calibrated. I am also using a gm hei module but that was to get away from fords infamous TFI module  :sick: something you wont have to worry about.

I would recommend downloading tunerstudio(free version for now)  just to get familiar with how the features are laid out, etc.  It really helped me understand what was going on way before I even ordered my Microsquirt.

Mine is from a thunderbird turbocoupe but mostly the same as svo...  I figured svo was a lot easier to fit in a build thread title lol

Yeah I don't mind helping.  i don't get very many opportunities to talk about megasquirt (without getting weird looks from oblivious people) plus it helps me keep things fresh in my mind.   It's one of those use it or lose it situations.

• Like 1

lol

This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the the stock ecu - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take megasquart - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

• Like 1