PerTronix Kit Upgrade From Points

ADavis_620

Alright so i'm upgrading from points to a Petronix ignition kit. So I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to install and I got a timing gun. Also from what I researched the firing order is 1, 3, 4, 2. Or at least that's order of spark plug wires on distributor. The cylinders are ordered 1, 2, 3, 4 straight across. I don't know what to set the timing at for each plug or how to adjust. This will be my first time doing this and using a timing gun. I have a L20B by the way also near the belt i see this... well idk what it is but at the end its got little teeth and i see numbers on it that say 20 10 10 in that order. What does that mean? Sorry for the scrambled and numerous questions. I can post pictures tomorrow of exactly what I'm seeing.

Thanks  

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayno, going for the community service merit badge! Ha.

Try youtube. It is easy once you get a general idea. Timing light is a strobe. You can mark that notch in the crank pulley to make it bright. As the crank turns, the strobe flashes. Point it at the turning dot. If the dot lines up with the desired advance or retard, you are doing well. If not turn the dizzy slightly to adjust. You can do this with the engine running. Warm it up first. Remove and plug vacuum advance before setting. Tighten the dizzy, then check it again. If good, go drive up a hill to listen for pinging etc. if none, pat yourself on the back.

It's not hard.

• Like 1

Wayno, going for the community service merit badge! Ha.

Try youtube. It is easy once you get a general idea. Timing light is a strobe. You can mark that notch in the crank pulley to make it bright. As the crank turns, the strobe flashes. Point it at the turning dot. If the dot lines up with the desired advance or retard, you are doing well. If not turn the dizzy slightly to adjust. You can do this with the engine running. Warm it up first. Remove and plug vacuum advance before setting. Tighten the dizzy, then check it again. If good, go drive up a hill to listen for pinging etc. if none, pat yourself on the back.

It's not hard.

when putting the pertronix in just pop the cap off leaving the spark plug wires hooked up to the cap.

then remove just the dist by the 1 10mm head bolt holgin the adjuster plate(tab)

REMEMBER

You got to machine down the point lobe above the point lobes.

So there is a little dust cap you remove and then put the dizzy in a vice. secure it then use a Phillips head to loosen the point lobe out off the weight(springs) then machine it down.

Persoanlly I would get a spare Dizzy and mod it on the side so you can figure this out EZer.

when putting the pertronix in just pop the cap off leaving the spark plug wires hooked up to the cap.

then remove just the dist by the 1 10mm head bolt holgin the adjuster plate(tab)

REMEMBER

You got to machine down the point lobe above the point lobes.

So there is a little dust cap you remove and then put the dizzy in a vice. secure it then use a Phillips head to loosen the point lobe out off the weight(springs) then machine it down.

Persoanlly I would get a spare Dizzy and mod it on the side so you can figure this out EZer.

Awe crap. I didn't do any of that. Not even sure if I pulled the distributer. That was like 8 years ago, it's still runnin ok. How much are you supposed to take off the lobe?

If the magnet ring fits on the points lobes, you don't  need to machine anything.  That's just for ~1974 and newer "large cap" distributors that have a protruding boss above the points lobes that prevents the magnet ring from being installed.  I've never seen a small cap dist with that boss, but I've only seen a couple large-cap ones that didn't have that boss, generally early, '74 and maybe '75 ones.  All '76-77 ones had that boss in my experience.