KA24E timing set kit, opinions?

68Datsun510

Hey folks, I am forever a fan of OEM parts on engines, but this seems like a great deal....maybe too great?

What do you think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timing-Chain-Water-Pump-Oil-Pump-Kit-for-89-97-Nissan-2-4L-SOHC-D21-Pickup-KA24E-/141369455086?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ea46b1ee

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stock guides are 'plastic' lined or coated and they last about 80k or so. The last E I took apart the guides were worn but otherwise ok. Then I took the pan off and it was full of old guide pieces. If your KA rattles, it's likely the guides need replacing.

KA24Eblock008Large-1.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds awesome! You know, if Stoffregen Motorsports produced a low volume run of dual row 12V chain kits.... hahahahaha

For the sake of simplicity I think I'll opt for Japan quality OEM style kit, they work just fine, just need the updated guides. The ones in the truck are fine at 177K miles.

Sounds awesome! You know, if Stoffregen Motorsports produced a low volume run of dual row 12V chain kits.... hahahahaha

For the sake of simplicity I think I'll opt for Japan quality OEM style kit, they work just fine, just need the updated guides. The ones in the truck are fine at 177K miles.

Good call.

I'm more interested in the dual cam sprocket and how it's mounted to the cam. Can you elaborate?

I can, but then I'd have to kill you.

It's a bunch of modified cam sprockets, crank sprockets, oil pump drives, curved and straight guides...all heavily modified. Parts come from 22RE Toyota, 2002 BMW, L series Datsun, KA Nissan. It really does take about a whole day to build a dual row setup.

Only need to know about the dual row cam sprocket from an L or Z series and how it's attached to a KA-E cam. The stock single just has a notch for the cam dowel. The L or Z sprocket has a hole for the dowel. Haven't fitted it yet, just wondering does it just slip in? Won't need the rest of the timing chain guides and stuff so there's no need to kill me after all.