What's the fastest you've ever gone in a 510?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a fun race to watch^^^ Amazing now clean Troy's line is through the corners. Looks like the mazda is taking four lines at the same time. Not clear wether he just pushing the car to it's grip threshold, or he's trying to defend the inside, but that darting shit looses momentum and makes him vulnerable exiting the corner. Textbook performance by Troy getting everything you can out of a dime, and a tribute to Rebello built motors.

I just got a chance to watch that. I think what you're seeing is the difference between the IRS of the 510 and the solid axle of the Mazda. The solid axle sure works well in the high speed stuff, but the 510 really has him in the twisty stuff.

One thing I hate about vintage racing is that there's not always actual racing taking place, but those guys were hammering it out for sure.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

100 in my LZ22 510 with a 32/36, ZX 5spd with 185/45/R15 on 7inch wheels and cut lowering springs on new KYB shocks..

Ill never do it again

But hopefully my new setup is a little better, 11:1 KA with ITBs and coilovers all around. 400lbs front with rabbit inserts and camber plates, 330lbs rears with S13 coilovers. Still need to figure out a cheap way of installing a LSD R160 with CV joints

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Bringing this thread back to life with a 72 1200/B110 coupe hitting a GPS verified 155 mph, is the body 510 really that bad aerodynamically? Yes it was a scary experience and I'd rather not do it again, but it could! The 3.73 gear helped but it definitely had some more to go if I stayed in it... definitely not as stable as my S13 at that speed!

• Like 1

Bringing this thread back to life with a 72 1200/B110 coupe hitting a GPS verified 155 mph, is the body 510 really that bad aerodynamically?

Yes, and so is a 1200. But you're pushing an awful lot of torque through a very light weight car, so...   ^_^

Don't forget the average 510 is likely 400 pounds heavier than the average 1200, as well...

Bringing this thread back to life with a 72 1200/B110 coupe hitting a GPS verified 155 mph, is the body 510 really that bad aerodynamically? 

The 510 has the same drag coefficient as an Easybake oven. I think the 1200's biggest aerodynamic advantage isn't the front end but the swapped rear window. 

This Coupe comes within a breath of 200 mph. Insane. 

• Like 2

Ok lets say street legal Z car ! not my car , I can't take to out to Nv. and run it, Here is mild build RB25 90mm throttle body and bigger turbo ,can boost up maybe 375hp or more as is .here is where gets hairy ,has stock 330 ratio and pulls hard all gears . I can say I believe 175 mph or more as is ,if your nads can hold on.

100_1883.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an old friend that has a V8 powered 240z, you guys have probably seen it (the black one with wide body kit) and we used to bomb around in that car at speeds that any 510 could only wish to achieve. No matter what the power plant.

I've been told that his 240z has hit 180. And I don't doubt it. It would pull away from bikes at over 120 mph.

I've got an old friend that has a V8 powered 240z, you guys have probably seen it (the black one with wide body kit) and we used to bomb around in that car at speeds that any 510 could only wish to achieve. No matter what the power plant.

I've been told that his 240z has hit 180. And I don't doubt it. It would pull away from bikes at over 120 mph.

That's flat movin!

Fastest I've been in a car is 160ish (older 911 turbo), though the most terrified was at about 110, but we were airborn in a 29 Ford, at night, one head light pointed at the shoulder the other pointed about 8' infront of the car, had no windows, no roof, gate latches keeping the doors shut, folding boat seats and no seatbelts......Was fun as hell though

• Like 1

In college - I had just rebuilt my L-18 (Mild Cam and weber).  Otherwise stock car - hit 110 on the downhill of the 57 freeway coming from the 210 in so cal.  Things went fine, but it was very floaty,,,Looking back I shake my head.  Something small goes wrong at that speed.....but to be younger again!

• 1 year later...

Honestly don’t know the speed, but it was in my GT4 510 in 1983 on the back straight at Riverside Raceway. Was a very long straight, topped out at around 6800 RPM with a 194hp 1600 built by Comptech racing before they became famous with Honda/Acura.  The steering was super light as air built a cushion beneath the car as it rushed under the box flare front spoiler. Oh to have built a proper splitter. Won that race.

• 4 years later...

I don't know how fast I was going but it felt very fast, at least compared to the speed limit. I was moving from one town to another and relocating my various cars. I decided to drive my SCCA H/Production 510 (1600 cc) there instead of car-dolly it. I had my route pre-plotted in my head. I tried to drive it quietly so as not to stand out going through neighborhoods. But then out at the rural end of town on roads I know well, a curvy on-ramp enters quiet divided 55 mph highway that soon starts a long steady climb toward a ridge. (I wasn't going 55). I knew if I got caught I'd be so screwed so I though I might as well make it a good one. Once I hit the backroads I got off of it because it would have been unsafe if someone pulled out from the driveways into the woods. I let it cool down and just cruised along on the two-lane rural road. Relaxing in my racing seat and my harness, just letting the adrenaline settle some. A reason I had to make the a split-second decision to drive it was because if I was going to do it I was going to have to warm it up and then just go because dusk wasn't far off. I had no headlights, just the plastic red disks same color as car. It wouldn't have been 'driving without headlights on', it would have been 'driving without headlights'.

Midsummer just before dusk.

I thought, wouldn't it be great if it was like this all the time?

Edited by RetroRocket
  • 2 months later...