76 620 not running :(

Screechbruh

Hello guys, so my little beast hasn't been running and I'm trying to see if you guys could help me figure out whats wrong with it.

Ive changed the alternator, battery, and ignition coil so far. All of them had to be replaced anyway. The fuel pump and carburator are new.

The "charge" light in the dash stays on though. What should i check if that light is on? Any ideas? 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop throwing shit at it. It's expensive and a waste of time and money. Now you have several cheap ass rebuilt pieces of crap on it that may not work either. Coils almost never go bad, ever. Points do wear out though. Could be the alternator but the regulator could be bad or the battery? Now you can problem solve or replace everything.

• Like 3

If it's not running (but the key is on) the charge light should be on.  That's normal.

If the charge light is on, and the key is off, you have a blown diode in the alternator or a bad voltage regulator.  However, neither of those would cause it to not run.  It may or may not charge, but it would run until the battery went dead.

If it's on and the engine is running (but you say it won't run so don't know how you got here) it also could be the alternator or the regulator.

It starts for like 2 seconds and then dies off. 

does this mean is runs for 2 secs then kills when key goes back to ON? then the hot start wire is off the ballast resisitor or something of that nature

or bad connection behind key switch reseat the plug in back or keyswitch.

Or battery just dieswhen trying to start?

have you thought about taking the alternator in to have it cked? do this first.

clean batt cables or even replace them as corrosion will kill the amps going to the starter

what most likely is your truck is running for the hot start wire. then when the key snaps back to ON the power comes from the blk/whte wire goes thru the ballast resisitor out to the plus side coil.

there is a break there or at the keyswich connection or maybe even the key switch.

put key to ey to ON then measure to see if you have 12volts at the blk white wire. then otherside of the ballast reisistor. . Ballast resisitor could be open or wire feell off.

I had this with my 51o twice. Once would run with key only in START.

then next time it was wouldn't not start in start but sometimes cath when the key snapped back to ON.

Both times I just wiggled the connecter in back of keyswitch at the steering colume