6 fuel pumps in 6 months

c west

I have a 1984 nissan 720 Recently I have replaced my fuel pump every couple of weeks they have a lifetime warranty so they are free now but I can't figure out what the problem is filter is good not clogged the truck has 130000 orig. Miles it runs great but the fuel pump goes out and leaves me stranded put a new one on and it is fine for a while love the truck but its getting to be a hasstle. could it be electrical

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Possibly a bad ground causing resistance and resistance is heat killing the pump. But is the pump internal or external? if internal is the pumps filter on the pump itself coming out dirty. If so then the pump may be over worked causing the failure. I am not familar with your particular truck and its fuel system so I may be huffing hot air DOH!!!

I have replaced the relay when the pump quits it sounds like its running still but no fuel comes out it is an inline pump they never tested the bad ones I just assumed one out of six had to be OK I did try running a line directly into a gas can can hear it running still pumps no fuel

If you put line into gas can where did you check the output? If at the carb there may be a blockage in the line. If the pump was disconnected completely and tested I don't see how you could have 5 or 6 bad ones.

Do you have a fuel filter before the pump? It should, to catch any trash in the tank.

Is the pump mounted low and close to the tank?

Well the fuel flowing through it helps cool it also. If it somehow runs dry it will burn out. Is there a loose hose clamp anywhere between the pump and the tank that can suck air in? Six pumps.... likely not the pump unless the wrong pump for the application.

I have replaced the relay when the pump quits it sounds like its running still but no fuel comes out it is an inline pump they never tested the bad ones I just assumed one out of six had to be OK I did try running a line directly into a gas can can hear it running still pumps no fuel

I disconnected the line directly at the pump there was nothing coming out of the pump itself the filter is before the pump and the pump is mounted on the frame next to the fuel tank and it is lower than the tank

Get rid of the filter before the pump and replace with a new one. It may be partly clogged and the pump is struggling and burns out. New ones probably push enough fuel to run the truck.

This. Weekend when I tested the voltage I did away with the butt crimps and twisted the wires together blew air back into the tank lines seemed clear turned the key on and the pump worked fine after that started and ran fine there may be something floating in the tank and temporarily blocking the line or butt crimpers may be the problem thanks for the help I'm getting closer to finding the problem