dependable l20b build

mrwatsonn

I'm new to datsun. I have a 79 620 fresh rebuild only 2000 miles. I'm looking for the right cam. And if a different head would be worth it. I'v read a little about the U67 head but unsure. Open to any advise to build somewhere around 200whp

Has anyone seen or heard of an l20b supercharged? I'v been told I could use a thunderbird supercharger and just cut and tig weld the intake manifold

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from what I've picked up in the realm of cams the further you move from stock the less "streetable" the engine is. What is your desire from the engine? more power for around town? Tow bigger stuff faster? Race up the hill to check your crops? Make it down the quarter mile as fast as possible?

200hp will cost you. If you're building a naturally aspirated L/Z20 based engine, you're looking at $5-6K minimum. A L/Z motor in that horsepower range would barely be streetable.

If you wanted a motor with 200hp and did not care if it was a L/Z you could get that for less and have more street minded manners.

• Like 1

I'm drifting, was looking for more power to get me by until I do an sr20 swap.

How about supercharged ?

And yes I have the tools and space to tear into it.

Save you money for the SR drive as is seriousely. I'm running a S14 SR20DE with Tomie Poncams and oh boy did those cams seriousely wake up the engine. Stock it's 165hp, current condition I'd say about 175/80 ish. I have a worked over head sitting in a box just screaming for work but the SR runs so nice I don't want to touch it. Ya, save you $$$$ for the SR.

200hp will cost you. If you're building a naturally aspirated L/Z20 based engine, you're looking at $5-6K minimum. A L/Z motor in that horsepower range would barely be streetable.

If you wanted a motor with 200hp and did not care if it was a L/Z you could get that for less and have more street minded manners.

we have had a LZ24  go on a fun run with us about 250+miles and sitting through some traffic it was fine from what i could tell.i dont think the guy comes on here buti know he spent atleast 4k on it and  claims its pushing 240hp at the flywheel and that fucker moved. only thing ive seen keep up head to head like that with a KA  until about 4th gear that ka started pulling away

If you are looking for dependable, you should definitely do what you haven't seen anyone else do.   That right there is the key.  

Funnies aside, I can tell dependable is not your goal.  You want power, and that's fine.  I think a supercharger is a terrible idea personally, and I'd put money on you blowing the engine in trials, but that might get you to the SR in less time (more $ though).  I'm running a stage 2 cam, 485 lift - 285 duration,  weber 38/38, flat pistons, some other small stuff.  I havent dyno'd, but I know I'm nowhere near 200hp.  Yet, the car is so light (as is your truck), that it has way more go than is needed.  If you gear it right, you should be able to drift just fine with the L20B without a supercharger.  And you might even end up dependable.  If you are lucky, you might fall in love with the L and never switch.  

we have had a LZ24  go on a fun run with us about 250+miles and sitting through some traffic it was fine from what i could tell.i dont think the guy comes on here buti know he spent atleast 4k on it and  claims its pushing 240hp at the flywheel and that fucker moved. only thing ive seen keep up head to head like that with a KA  until about 4th gear that ka started pulling away

Yeah, he spent 4K on the motor. Carbs these days are going to cost another $1-2K.

The OP was talking rear wheel horsepower. 200 at the wheels is not a very streetable package. It is totally doable if you're expert at tuning carbs and don't mind adjusting valves and replacing broken valve springs every so often.

I have had hig HP street L motors and I love 'em, but they are not easy to own by any means. That is, if you drive the way I do !!!!!

HA! if anything I'll go Nissan not a junk Chevrolet.

I was thinking the same thing about the supercharger. Ill probably just throw a cam in and Waite for the Sr.

A cam won't get it done. On a small 2 liter you'll make small increases. It's a total package. Head work, lighter valves and springs, porting, gasket matching, exotic ceramic piston and combustion chamber coatings, header/exhaust, multiple carbs and or forced induction, lightened flywheel ... dozens of things that add a couple of hp here and there and work together to make more than separately. And then the other things that allow it to make more than one pass around the track like an oil cooler, deep oil pan with baffles, larger rad, larger oil pump, good set of gauges, tach, EGT gauge.....

Just wait.

• Like 1

See "nasty ass lz23"

I'm looking for 200-230 wheel out of that thing, and it comes up short im gonna hit it with the fogger. Now that it's running I can tell you it ain't no tractor like stock l20,

I'm not divulging what that thing would cost to build, the parts wernt too bad, as much as any other hot rod 4 banger for say. But there was a HUGE amount of time involved doing everything. For a shop to build you an LZ it ain't gonna be cheap.

Hainz is correct, the only reason I built mine is I can run engine machining equipment ;)

Datsunmike is also right as usual. You have to do everything.

If u have a fresh l20 I'd just put like a stage 2 isky cam and a weber 32/36 or a 38/38. Boost and cast pistons is like a dog fuckin a football imo.

If your gonna ditch the l motor my vote is KADE or a ka with side drafts

• 1 year later...

Either u build the L20 to get 200 hp or just wait for the SR. Either way its going to cost money. I know someone in cali. That can do the ka or sr swap for about 5,500. Then u will have to your brakes, suspension and other things because u will need to be able to stop with the planned 200 hp. If u just put a cam on the L20 then you will have to upped ur carbs so one things affects the other since everything is interconnected. Either way you will spend money and if u dont make a conscious decision then u will base ur decision on pure emotions. Btw, what is your budget?

• Like 2