tailgate handle

85"720

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They are a bit of a funny beast. If you adjust it up tight, it doesn’t really like to open easily. And if you adjust it to open okay, it shakes a little against the bed when latched. (Disclaimer: unless I am missing a rubber part, somehow.)

Fortunately, I don’t hear that rattle in the cab.

They're not all exactly the same. I bought this blue one from a salvage yard for my 82. The linkage bolts are in different places, so the blue tailgate doesn't fit the pickup, but the lavender one does. I still have the blue one. Maybe I'll hang it on the wall in the shop as a fold-down workbench?

old_older_tailgates.jpg

Is that a 85 if so ima do that. Thanks for the pics it helps out alot

No, that one was an early 1981-82, but I am fairly sure they are close to the same, just pull the cover off and take a look, the cover doesn't do anything except cover the inside of the tailgate, and I would bet that the handle is held on the tailgate by 2 nuts on all the 720 model years.

No I don't have a photo of the tailgate down with the cover on it, I didn't see the point of getting that photo, it's just a tailgate, they are all basically the same, so many sheet metal screws hold the cover on(10 on my tailgate), all you need is a phillips screwdriver to remove the cover, nothing is connected to the cover once all the screws are removed, it takes all of 10 minutes to remove, another 10 minutes to remove and replace the handle if you have one ready, and another 10 minutes at the most to put the cover back on, the handle is not even connected to anything either, a lever on the handle just rests against the opening mechanism, remove 2 nuts and it drops out.

Hell, mine has no cover but has some bolt holes for one. The handle also only works one side. The other no longer has the rod. So I pull the handle and smack the right side to bang it open. Not bothering to try and fix it, need another tailgate. Mine is badly rusted out in the bottom and bent up at the top.