Pertronix Upgrade Help

rojadoja

Here's what I know: 

The dizzy in my 76' 620 is marked T3T20389 221011W11

I want to swap to the Pertronix module but their part finder is designed for someone who knows more about their current situation

I need to know:

Can I upgrade my distributor? If so, any write-ups been done on this? Any advice as to which part number(s) to purchase?

Should I just swap to a matchbox?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Single or dual point? If it's single, it's generally a pretty straightforward upgrade unless your distributor has a part on the cam that prevents the Pertronix unit from sliding on. If you have a distributor like that, you'll need to grind that part off. I've read that you can install on a dual point distributor but it's not just a clean swap like it is with a single point.

I've got Pertronix on my car and have had it on several others and have liked it with every install. The part number you want is 1741.

• Like 1

Be sure to read their instructions regarding ballast resistor and coil requirements. I used to run them with the stock 1.8 ohm ballast resistor and a MSD blaster coil. Never had a problem there, but other people were always burning them out.

So read the instructions just to be sure.

There is a ring above the point lobe on the L20b distrbutors. this must be ground down or machind down to the magnet ring in the Pertronix kit will fit on the point lobes.

but forst see if the pertronix module lines up on the holes proved when the points are removed.

Most wil fit but ai had one L20b dist that it would not fit. dont know why.

1741 is the kit you want.

better take photo of inside distributor

key is will the one from cardone fit your dist mount? as the were 2 types of matchboxes. if not then you have to move the oil spindal to get the timming right for that mount.

also you have a point coil and a ballast resisitor in your 76.

The newer dist  will work but you goto to take the 12volt right at the ballast resisitor(use a double lug connection) then hook up to B of matchbox.

C goes to the - side coil. 

using the ballast keeps the coil from getting hot

or skip the ballast and buy a MSD coil or a 79 coil.

why not go to a Datsun meet and meet some peole that might have this stuff and will do it for you.

Lots of help in Bothell/Everett  area

why not look in the HOW TO section and its all there just look back and its all there

Olddatsuns.com the tech section