engine stall problems

newdatsunowner720

Hey guys I am having an issue with my 84 pickup just stalling on me in the middle of driving it down the road. This is twice in 2 weeks it's done it and left me stranded in the road . The first time it did it I figured well maybe it's a fuel pump issue because the ignition would turn ober and everything but just wouldnt crank at all and when i replaced the fuel pump it started driving great again. Well, yesterday evening i did a coolant flush on my truck and got all the coolant up to the recommends levels as per the FSM and got it done and took her for a spin to see how she would drive and it just cut off on me in the middle of drovong. It did the same thing as before . same problem ...it'll turn over but will not crank. Anybody have an answer for me ?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost willing to bet that its the anti-dieseling solenoid wires, since it seems intermittent. Basically the solenoid cuts the fuel to keep the engine from running on after the ignition is shut off. I have some pics for you, just waiting on the upload.

Here we go:

elQ3eYb.jpg?1

OR

mj04wXv.jpg

I'm fairly sure that your issue lies with the blue/red stripe wires. IIRC when my brother and I did the vacuum lines, the white wire was left unplugged. We plugged it in and she ran beautifully. 

• Like 1

elQ3eYb.jpg?1

This is the throttle cable

mj04wXv.jpg

This is the idle cut solenoid. Just turn the ignition on off on off and you should hear a faint clicking sound.

Next time it quits turn the key to ON and listen for the electric fuel pump. The fuel pump relay are problematic. The pump relay is just under the dash on the pass side kick panel, is black, about the size of a small pack of cigarettes and has 4 -5 wires.

2238135_f248.jpg

Check this out. There is a way to jumper the fuel pump to keep it on. If the problem goes away then the relay is the problem. If not then you have at least eliminated the relay as the cause. http://dlarson.hubpages.com/hub/The-Datsun-and-Nissan-Pickup-Fuel-Pump-Relay-What-the-Haynes-Automotive-Repair-Manual-Wont-Tell-You

• Like 1

BTW turning over and crank (ing) are the same thing and both imply using the starter. The engine may or may not start. Saying it fails to crank is kind of misleading.

Next time it dies look at the glass bull's eye on the front of the carb. Gas should be level or at least in sight. If no gas then could be the fuel pump /pump relay. If there  is gas then it's not a fuel delivery problem.

1/ The key in the on position will start the fuel pump relay but it will only stay on for 10-20 seconds and then times out.

2/ The start signal to the starter will turn the fuel pump relay on and hold it on while cranking the engine. If engine does not start and the key returns to ON then then go back to 1/ above.

3/ once started, the pump relay needs alternator output and the oil pressure must be high enough to keep the oil light off in the dash to keep the pump going.  Without either, it's assumed there was an accident and the fuel should be shut off to prevent a fire

• Like 1

still looking for my fuel pump relay...

just recently replaced my fuel filter and i ended up with a puddle of gasoline on the garage floor.  first, the fuel line from the tank to the filter disintegrated when i pulled it out.  then, the line going from the filter to the pump  swelled then sprung a leak.  moral of the story... if you're planning on replacing the fuel filter, have some fuel lines precut and make sure you have an assistant, a fire extinguisher, something to catch fuel with and something to plug the lines or keep them elevated.  better yet, drain the gas tank if she's almost empty.  with the needle on my fuel gauge at empty, i still managed to drain 2.5 gallons of fuel.  don't ask me why i didn't replace the filter and lines then.  oh, and if you do decide to replace the fuel lines, good luck with the hose clamp that holds the line at the gas tank.

• Like 1

BTW turning over and crank (ing) are the same thing and both imply using the starter. The engine may or may not start. Saying it fails to crank is kind of misleading.

Next time it dies look at the glass bull's eye on the front of the carb. Gas should be level or at least in sight. If no gas then could be the fuel pump /pump relay. If there  is gas then it's not a fuel delivery problem.

1/ The key in the on position will start the fuel pump relay but it will only stay on for 10-20 seconds and then times out.

2/ The start signal to the starter will turn the fuel pump relay on and hold it on while cranking the engine. If engine does not start and the key returns to ON then then go back to 1/ above.

3/ once started, the pump relay needs alternator output and the oil pressure must be high enough to keep the oil light off in the dash to keep the pump going.  Without either, it's assumed there was an accident and the fuel should be shut off to prevent a fire

Is this why it starts and then turns off?

From... http://http://dlarson.hubpa...l-Wont-Tell-You

Test Your Fuel Pump Again

If you have not already tested your fuel pump by running a jumper wire to it, you can do it now. Build a short jumper wire and connect the Blue terminal to the White/Black terminal. When you turn the ignition over to the Accessory position, you should now hear the Fuel Pump running constantly (not recommended as a permanent fix)!

When this jumper is connected the fuel pump will be ON when:

a/ The ignition is in the ON position

b/ The ignition switch is in the ACCESSORY position.

It will be shut off when the key if off. This is one way of eliminating the relay as the cause of the fuel pump shutting off. Run with this jumper in place. If it stops shutting off then it can be assumed that it is the relay. If it still shuts off with the jumper in place then it must be something other than the relay.

• Like 1

From... http://http://dlarson.hubpa...l-Wont-Tell-You

Test Your Fuel Pump Again

If you have not already tested your fuel pump by running a jumper wire to it, you can do it now. Build a short jumper wire and connect the Blue terminal to the White/Black terminal. When you turn the ignition over to the Accessory position, you should now hear the Fuel Pump running constantly (not recommended as a permanent fix)!

When this jumper is connected the fuel pump will be ON when:

a/ The ignition is in the ON position

b/ The ignition switch is in the ACCESSORY position.

It will be shut off when the key if off. This is one way of eliminating the relay as the cause of the fuel pump shutting off. Run with this jumper in place. If it stops shutting off then it can be assumed that it is the relay. If it still shuts off with the jumper in place then it must be something other than the relay.

Well i have the jumper wire like the article states and the fuel pump turns on when I have it in the accessory/on position and it'll crank and then like 2 seconds later it'll turn off