My Grandfather's 1970 521

Shawn Abbey

I was there when the shiny red Datsun was delivered to my Grandparents door back in 1970.

It was a shiny red little pickup with a Perris Valley Camper covering its bed.  I was intrigued with this little truck ever since.  I can't explain it.  The simple design, the smooth shifting, the purring engine.  I just don't know, but since then, I always had my eye on this enviable machine from Japan.

Having been through the Depression, they used the truck for errands and loaned it to us whenever we needed to haul anything.  They loved the gas mileage and the money they were saving.  They later bought a full size overhead camper and traveled often through the Southwest to visit the various scenery and landmarks.  As I got older, my Grandpa  would let me drive it whenever we had a project or errand.  After retirement, they started slowing down.  My Grandpa got diabetic, and later was unable to drive.  He then turned over the truck to my Dad.  I was in college in Oregon then, and Dad used it for a ranch truck and for various errands.  I never quit seeing potential in that truck, nor hoping I would be its next owner -- someday!

Life started going in fast forward.  I started a business, had kids, etc. etc. and the truck still stayed in California.  My Dad also got busy with a new job, and the little truck developed a dead battery, and was forgotten in our barn.  For 20 years, I and my family would pass the truck on visits through the years.  We would peek through the dirty windows and marvel how large the packrat nest was growing on the bench seat!   Finally, after my Dad retired, he now had time to do a little cleaning of the accumulated junk around the property.  Hence came the discussion.  He asked me, in a doubtful tone if I wanted that old truck.  "Yeah, Yeah!", I replied, "When should I come pick it up?"  Plans were made, and in 2010, I gathered what was left of Grandpas truck.

39645_1431697189478_6680342_n_zps9beb84d

This is after the packrat nest was removed.  The urine from the rats corroded anything and everything.  As money and motivation prompted, I started on its restoration.  The dash, dashboard, and upholstery were the first project.  Then came the front disc brake conversion.  That was a few years ago.  Now, tires, rims, and drivetrain is the present focus. Not to mention the licensing! 

photo1_zps9bc56b33.jpg

photo2_zps54c0ba48.jpg

photo4_zpsacfabaf7.jpg

photo3_zpsa3b57132.jpg

Next, I think, is to see about sealing the oil leaks.  It looks like some gaskets will need to be replaced.  Since the engine only has 79,000 miles on it, AND was driven by my Grandpa for most of its life, I don't think its time for a complete rebuild -- yet!

I thank all of you for your contribution to Ratsun forums, and the inspiration it brings!  Just in case you were wondering,..... No, I'm not going to lower it!  Its time to be different!  B)

• Like 6
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is not a stock Datsun mirror, it's not even a common mirror, but I have seen them before.

I would either go with the small big truck mirrors, or go with something small and more period correct like the mirror below.

SANY5096.jpg

SANY5097.jpg

The small big truck mirrors below are stock type Datsun with the factory Datsun stamp/badge.

DSCN2788.JPG

It's hard to see, but it says "DATSUN".

DSCN2144.JPG

• Like 1

Most of the mirrors on our little trucks were put on by the dealers as DanielC just mentioned, I would just look on ebay for something that looks correct, check out all the local wrecking yards and look at all the older vehicles, the dealers got them mirrors from somewhere over here, some came from Japan, or were at least stamped with the Datsun logo, but some were made over here in the US, but if I were you, I would look for something I like, especially if you going to drive it.

Wayno: do you know where one could get the period correct mirrors?

I like small big truck mirrors myself, but I use most my trucks to haul stuff, but my 720 has the small truck chrome mirrors, I like them, but if I really want to see, I turn around and look.

General 521 info.

The engine, transmission, and rear axle are metric.  The rest of the truck is SAE.  You will need both types of wrenches, and sockets.

Many parts for a 521 are still available at Nissan dealers.  You can also find parts, at auto parts stores.  You probably are better off avoiding auto parts stores that sell spoilers, and fart cannon exhaust tips for Hondas.

Bookmark this page.   Use it to order needed parts from Nissan.

http://www.carpartsm...20521Index.aspx

Parts from Nissan, cost more than most generic auto parts store prices, but the quality is MUCH higher.  in my opinion, well worth it.

Here is a wiring diagram you are going to need.

521wires.jpg