620 Brake Adjuster

1Low620

While encountering an issue with my brake shoes and drums , I noticed the adjusters were frozen. I took them off, cleaned them up, cleaned the backing plate so they could slide about in the track but I don't think they are doing their job. As I took them apart, I don't quite understand how it is they function unless I'm looking at the glass half full.

Here is the complete unit.

1409863499167.jpg

and it taken apart

1409863524863.jpg

and

1409863514939.jpg

The ratcheting gears were gummed up and sticking, so I cleaned and lubed them and installed them back onto the backing plates. When I try to adjust the drag, nothing happens? How is the screw that threads into the gear go in and out if the whole unit just spins inside the body? or is that how they work? I had to manually move the shoes out of the way and use a flat tip to adjust the screw but I have not been able to fine tune them.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the part on the far left in the middle picture, that slotted piece is separate and screws in and out

Yeah I broke those free and they thread in and out nicely, what happens when I put them back in is I can sit there and spin the daisy all day long but I get no movement out of them. The whole piece just spins in the body unless I manually move the screw itself in and out.