My 720 Resto

720inOlyWa

Good question! I can imagine an argument in favor of each one. I love my daily, but I have the new tranny ready for the 4x4 and a trip to remote areas of Nevada all planned for it someday. After that, it may go away. And my mpg truck is so damn clean, it is gonna be hard it sell, though I must, I suppose. Fudgecicle wins, I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to serve a client in Pioche, Nevada. Actually, I still do some work for them. Great folks all over Lincoln County, Nevada.  I also attempted to write a book about Mrs. Wah, the famous boarding house / restaurant lady from up in Casselton, next to Pioche. That project still haunts me. I hear tell of a road that goes from Casselton all the way down to I-15. It is supposed to be abut 100 miles of real remote Nevada, which I love anyway. So one idea I had, once I got the 4x4 stable and strong, was to run down there and check out that road with it. I took this very same Subaru wagon up it from the I-15 end for about 6 miles before it became unfriendly to a low slung Legacy, but it looks like real beautiful country that winds up into the high desert.

Here is a little movie that I wrote and directed a few years back, set in Pioche, Nevada.

https://vimeo.com/35446161

• Like 1

Glad you shared and I am not the only one who pisses away good money on non classic or valuable vehicles. I have had my 720 29 years and have spent many times way more than it is worth. But it is my truck, from trouble free youth to middle age. Running ka and harbody trans now with lots of upgrades to keep it 15-20 years behind modern vehicles but it is my daily. Gotta 1998 sub too so I see where the love comes in. Enjoyed the video. Keep up the honest and forthcoming posts

• Like 3

To illustrate how the warped mind of an old codger works, I had sorta wondered to myself if having my big, soft, automatic transmission equipped Legacy back in hand would mean that I relegated the truck of limited ‘role playing‘ service, carrying loads, etc. And after I had a brand new factory key cut to celebrate it is true that for a week or two, I jumped right into the fresh ‘new‘ Legacy when I headed off to get coffee or run an errand. In fact, I left the truck idle in the driveway long enough that when I did kick it over, it took some coaxing.

But then, after a bit, the novelty wore off and I drifted right back to the truck as my daily. Not only is it more charming to drive, but also people like it, talk to me about it, admire it, want it. I just never tire of the long stroke torque curve and the incomparable ‘trundleability‘ of driving it. The other day, I parked downtown just behind a really nice looking yellow 620 that was leaving its parking spot. I was driving the Subaru. I tried to park quickly enough to tell the driver I admired his taste in trucks, to slow him down long enough to get the story on it. But driving the Subaru, he had no reason to linger and he just drove away. I know the sound of a freshly and correctly rebuilt Datsun 4 banger when I hear one. If I had been driving the Fudgecicle, he would have waited.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

The stars are lining up: no real obligations this weekend, combined with decent looking weather.

The annual is due on the Fudgecicle here, and I plan to do the tear down of the front brakes of Fitty Buck Chuck.

Who knows, maybe I get the entire sheebang done if I gut it out.

Not much for gutting it out these days, but you never can tell when the old bones will get fired up for the task.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Although the other trucks have been getting all of the elbow grease lately, my daily driver gets to have a new home in our boat shed, away from the sun and the rain and the snow...

5TpiFQz.jpg?1