consequence of low?

datson4life

So new u joints and they are going bad in less than 100 miles into them, set-up is completely stock 521 4 spd, stock rear end and carrier bearing

Carrier bearing and boot is fine, but are ujoints going

Bad because truck is lowered?

My buddy has a slammed 521 and he has ujoint problems ooften, either way i plan on going one piece driveline soon, but my question is, does lowering a 521 kill ujoints?

Green one mine, black one his

attachment-3_zpsvszzg4nx.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

likely due to lowering.  Stock ride height is optimal for drive-line

Actually drive line is optimal for stock ride height. Drive line can be modified to be optimal for any ride height. Changing ride height without addressing the drive line angles is going to cause problems.

You can install angled blocks or shims the go under non.angled blocks.

Another fix is to raise the carrier bearing up about an.inch...it helps correct the driveline angle.

A one inch raise on the carrier will help correct but only for a certain amount of drop. All body drops are different. Drive line angles must be measured and the angles adjusted to cancel  out the vibrations.

Take a look at this. The input end on the left is turning at a steady speed. Look at the output on the right. It actually has to speed up and slow down to transmit turning around a bend.

Ujointgif.gif

The best way is to have two U joints opposite each other. When one is accelerating the other is slowing down... they cancel. This only works if both angles are also identical. A larger bend means a faster acceleration on one end and it vibrates.

Both angles must be the same.

transdriveline.png

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I hve 3inch Belltech blocks 2deg slope. 6202 part#

been good for years. More than 3 inch I would start worrying

Back in the day (late 90's to early 2000's) I rode on some 4" sloped blocks from AIM for five years with no issues.