I shouldn't be allowed to own...

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

So I have been pretending I know how to build a motor, well not really it had great compression but still freshen it a bit, surfaced head, lapped the valves, replaced valve seals, front and rear main seals, better cam, header, and a Weber carb. So it's time to put the valve cover back on and it just to ugly, lots of mounting nubs, ribs, raised lettering plus the usual fresh air port and PCV valve location. So here's my experiment, I'll wait to see how it works before calling it a good idea.

I want to be able to draw fresh air into to engine with out having a port in the valve cover for a hose to the air filter or a breather so the oil filler cap is going to become my breather for fresh air being drawn into the engine

IMAG0944_zpsqlqwzay3.jpg

IMAG0948_zps7208yn5q.jpg

It will stick down where minimal oil is being thrown around and as long as I don't have to much blow by it should only have air entering the engine until shut down

So to draw air out of the engine I built a baffle in the back of the head using the same screen out of the baffle the factory had in the valve cover, I wrapped it around a vent tube and inclosed it with a larger tube  to limited oil being drawn in, then ported it out the side of the head. The PVC will be run inline in the hose to the intake.

IMAG0922_zpsbdkd0fcn.jpg

IMAG0924_zpsukdclglq.jpg

And the clean looking valve cover after some welding and grinding

IMAG0934_zpsyrqhfqcq.jpg

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Happy to find a set of 4x100 staggered Libre copies from CSI (Carrol Shelby International). What I found on Wiki: American Racing sold the Libre molds to Shelby, who marketed the Libre under their own name. Some 13" Libres have raised lettering on one spoke reading "SCCA", indicating wheels that were specially made for SCCA's Spec Racer program.

_57_zps94k5fdlq.jpg

• Like 1

In my backwards neck of the woods we called the American Racing 200s "Coke Bottles" but it does seem the rest of the world called them "Daisies". Hey we were pretty homophobic back then and the only Daisy we'd let on our cars was girls wearing Daisy Dukes cut offs.

• Like 2

Mine, its a square but fairly unmolested and not too much rust. Currently under the knife to remove all emissions from the M10, add in a Sanden A/C instead of the York. Also have a problem as a bolt broke in the timing cover back to the block (water pump). Not sure how to get it out without taking off the timing cover :(

Also changing the bumpers to early's and getting new wheels instead of the Bayer's. Won't be slammed though.

44wo.jpg

• Like 3

Mine, its a square but fairly unmolested and not too much rust. Currently under the knife to remove all emissions from the M10, add in a Sanden A/C instead of the York. Also have a problem as a bolt broke in the timing cover back to the block (water pump). Not sure how to get it out without taking off the timing cover :(

Also changing the bumpers to early's and getting new wheels instead of the Bayer's. Won't be slammed though.

44wo.jpg

Hey man, whats the offset of your current wheels? I can't run any higher of an offset than +15 due to it hitting my control arms on my e21 :/

The front crossmember on these has the steering box and idler mounted on it so moving it around doesn't affect your steering geometry. There is an extension on the bottom of the uni-body subframe that the crossmember mounts to and by removing this you raise the crossmember by 1.75 inches.

IMAG0987_zpsq4fpjibq.jpg

IMAG0995_zpswd7jtwhu.jpg

So you will have this

IMAG1000_zpsda53exn7.jpg

instead of this

IMAG1001_zpshzfrvem2.jpg

The car is being built to run with the front low so lots of fab work ahead. Will this affect hood clearance - yes, will this effect trans tunnel clearance - yes, will this effect steering column alignment - yes. Like I said lots more fab work ahead.

• Like 1

So is the idea to move it to better maintain LCA alignment when running it very low? 

That and to run a soft spring and not slam the pan and crossmember. I expect to have to try lots of different combos of snubbers. Hopping to have the first 1.5 or so of travel be pretty soft and use progress snubbers to firm up gently. It's diffinitely an experiment as the only 02's I see with a good stance are rock hard or air up to get around well

The original engine compartment sheet metal you see is only 20 gauge. The new strut tower is 1/8" metal and is welded into the factory sub structure that is underneath the 20 gauge and is stamped out of 1/8 also. So what you see from the top isn't where most the strength comes from so I ground those welds down smooth. The rest will get seam sealed.

IMAG1025_zpsnw6r3ge4.jpg

IMAG1021_zpsoq7dweiy.jpg

IMAG1022_zpsgbgkdjql.jpg

IMAG1023_zpsaugtic6j.jpg

• Like 2