Datsun 210 heating up when idling at stoplights not sure why?

Have a 1981 Datsun 210 1.5 engine, and for some reason it heats up when at the stoplights or when I'm parked and just idling. I already did a radiatior flush, read up how to check the thermostat to see if that was working, but I'm still unsure whats going on?

Can someone help me figure this out.. runs fine and the temp is cool when running. I thought it might be the water pump not circulating antifreeze as it should, any suggestions?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be wary of the water pump. If you drain out about 2 cups of coolant (when cold) then let it warm up with the radiator cap off. You should be able to see the water circulating when your thermostat opens. BUT, your car is more than a few years old, it might be feasible to just change the waterpump and thermostat. They are both inexpensive and easy to do. Also if you haven't I would consider new hoses also.

It was an option. Try turning the fan if it moves then clutched.

Generally vehicle motion will cool an engine but in town or idling you need a fan. Over heating is simply lack of heat transfer from coolant to air and breaks down to two failures. 

Lack of air flow

Excessive clutch fan slippage (if equipped) Should turn stiffly by hand if ok.

Fan shroud missing. This increases the fan's efficiency

Rad exterior blocked by dirt, bugs plastic bag.

Loose fan belt.. usually loud squealing.

Lack of coolant flow

Rad interior blocked by hard water scale.

Faulty thermostat.

Soft return hose to block that collapses from pump suction. This happens mostly at high RPMs.

Low coolant level

Loose fan belt

Brakes dragging

Timing retarded

Carb mixture lean  (specially idle mixture)

• Like 1

I took it down to a radiator guy here in town, he said it was badly clogged. Going to pick it up tomorrow lets see if that was the solution.

I did change the fan belt as a secondary measure, glad I did it was worn. Didn't look it from the top but it had its day. I was told that the carb is running to accelerated, they could do a rebuild for $110. At the moment I don't have that kind of money so that's out of the picture for the moment. Also, the mechanic checked the water pump and thermostat which he said were all in working order.

I did notice when I go up hill its at a slow crawl, and the car slowly heats up. Now I'm not a mechanic just a guy who likes cars, I was thinking maybe be it could be the head gasket? Anyone help me with that?

And now a another thing that just came up, when I start to move the car I hear grinding and feel it coming from the passenger side, could this be the bearings? Again not a mechanic just a guy who likes cars