oil pump ticking sound

bryant2482

ok so whenever my engine is cold or warming up and running between 11-1300 rpms my oil pump makes a little ticking sound. i can put my hand on the bottom of the pump and i feel something tapping on the inside. im wanting to know if this is normal or is it time for replacing? ever since ive owned the truck (4 years) its done this

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine in 4 years you've changed the oil. I have heard 720 owners say when the chain rattles it's the truck telling them it's time for an oil change. I think it's something to do with the old oil thinning out and the chain tensioner. If the guides rattle they may be worn.

i had the valve cover off yesterday and inspected the chain. all is good! chain has plenty of tension on it. i change my oil about every 2800 to 3000 miles and always use wix filters with dello 400 or rotella 15-40. inside of the engine from what i saw is very clean! like i said i can actually feel something tapping the bottom of the pump, almost like the shaft is lifting up when you hit the throttle and then falls when you let off and it hits the pump housing