Distractions from the Datsun (TE72, AE86, 4Runner content)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Update time

On Van isle we have a scenic drive local car guys will refer to as "the loop". Its about 270kms of half winding, bumpy coastal road, half winding bumpy logging road. Various slices of west coast beach utopia along the way.

Long story short, the Corolla blew the head gasket at about the half way point, naturally somewhere lacking cell reception. A kind fellow in a Jeep stopped and gave me some water to fill the rad and I limped in the rest of the way.

10799838_10202960702154694_1232512009_n_

10807157_10202960697834586_175920890_n_z

IMAG0966_zpslpa3wrdh.jpg

IMAG0955_zpsrdb7o1rm.jpg

So to retain the ability to drive myself to work I fixed it.

20141122_142927Large_zpse12d6889.jpg

All is good for know with the wagon. I really do like this car, but the recent work and the work that still needs to be done exceeds what I'm willing to do for this car at the moment. So naturally, I bought something else that needs just as much work (wtf is wrong with me).

• Like 1

Bought this no start '87 GTS, 250kms, bit of rust, decent not drifted or raced car overall.

IMAG1096_zpsuiuyktfk.jpg

IMAG1093_zpszwgrgcrz.jpg

IMAG1092_zpsv0wswdmn.jpg

IMAG1094_zpslss4cwur.jpg

Short term is to get it running and driving and take care of any normal maintenance it may need. Long term is yet to be decided, I feel like the car would be further appreciated as an clean unmodified GTS hatchback. But one thing at a time!

• Like 1

So to retain the ability to drive myself to work I fixed it.

20141122_142927Large_zpse12d6889.jpg

All is good for know with the wagon. I really do like this car, but the recent work and the work that still needs to be done exceeds what I'm willing to do for this car at the moment. So naturally, I bought something else that needs just as much work (wtf is wrong with me).

Wuts that orange thing for???

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

The 86 was a jallopy so I sold it for what I paid. Needed more work than I wanted to put in! Not a problem though, more money for the 510 and the wagon.

Speaking of which the wagon is getting suspension soon. 86 front struts with Tokico shocks, Megan like lowering springs, t3 camber plates, rca's, as well as stock 86 brakes. Not sure the plan for the rear yet. Being leaf springs I'm not sure of the best way to get low but still have the durability and feeling of tightness for autocross/drifting. Might start with removing a leaf and possible adding blocks just to get the ass down as well when the front gets done.

Pics from a nice coastal cruise couple weekends ago

IMAG1212_zps9boeurkd.jpg

IMAG1207_zpsosi5as8x.jpg

• 9 months later...

So I just realized I neglected to post anything on the wagon for a while. The past year has been an interesting one, many ups and downs for both me and the wagon.

In the spring I put a bit of money into suspension, I got some used AE86 struts with tokico blue inserts and megan lowering springs, and ordered some fancy/expensive camber plates from t3.

IMAG1374_zpsuwhrojdb.jpg

IMAG1370_zpsnwxgvigt.jpg

Got the front down a little bit lower, but more importantly made the ride and handling SOO much better. Like night and day compared to the old sagged springs and blown shocks.

IMAG1380_zpsme8us9et.jpg

IMAG1381_zpsiug9e4mg.jpg

Sometime in the early summer I picked up a rebuilt 32/36 Weber with an electric choke, a mr gasket fuel regulator and matching gauge for a mere $100. This once again was a major improvement, both for power and reliability. Plus the choke on the stock carb didn't work properly so start up was now easy.

IMAG1464_zpsxd5l9rgh.jpg

IMAG1471_zpsoxduopwn.jpg

Also did some red krinkle finish on the valve cover. Unfortunatly don't have a picture of it on the car but it look really sharp against the white bay and chrome air cleaner.

IMAG1642_zpsvyxr60sz.jpg

Middle to late summer this year I had gotten the car to a point where it was a really reliable daily driver. It had no FM radio so I would listen to the local AM news on my way to work, and on the way home I would just listen to my ipod. It held up well to how I treated it. I drove the piss out of this car basically every day, bangin through those 3 speeds with the auto shifter.

My buddies thought it was rad, chicks thought it was cute.

I started making a roof rack for her. I picked up some thule gutter feet for 10 bucks, welded a frame and cut some slats.

IMAG1412_zps8rdcuwpx.jpg

IMAG1428_zpszdqbeccj.jpg

IMAG1421_zpszqn4muzc.jpg

My excitement about the roof rack project with short lived. On my way home from work the day after I was sitting at a stop light and the car behind failed to realize the light was red.... 

IMAG1434_zps0nrjnnwb.jpg

The lack of a bumper didn't help. And of course the plastic crv sustained no damage besides a crack in the license plate cover.

IMAG1437_zpsx0dw5tai.jpg

"My breaks didn't work for some reason" said the middle aged lady. I said something along the lines of; Oh okay, well we better call the police and a tow truck so you can get your car to a shop safely if you have no breaks. "Oh no it should be okay now". I mentioned I'm a mechanic, and breaks don't intermittently not work just like that.

She was clearly not paying attention, probably looking at her phone.

She offered me $300 for the damage. At this point I was so pissed that I told her to get fucked, and that she'll be paying it through insurance.

This whole situation left me pretty bummed out. My clean little Corolla was ruined by some bitch who couldn't comprehend why my "junky old station wagon" getting hit made me so upset. It's one thing to wreck a car yourself, because then you have no body to blame, but this was a kick in the pants to an already awful year.

IMAG1899_zpsiqluixvy.jpg

Insurance jerked me around for a few months. They didn't want to fix the car no matter how much I asked them too. I eventually accepted the right off, parts only title so it couldn't ever be driven on the road again legally.

IMAG2172_zpsltwz3ypu.jpg

I brought the appraiser a bunch of "asking for way to much" local craiglist ads. He thanked me for doing his homework, and gave me a check for $2700!

I was pleasantly surprised because I was expecting under a grand. Financially it worked out for me, I bought the car for 350, put about a grand into it, wrote it off for 2700, bought it back from insurance for 300, and sold it to a buddy for 400! 

The car will live on in my buddies girlfriends hands, they may or may not have a parts car with a clean vin ;) wink wink

IMAG2574_zpsyiirtxrz.jpg

• Like 1

This is the new daily driver/adventure mobile. '95 4runner, 3.0L V6 with 5 speed manual, 315xxx Kms.

It's nice, a lot nicer a newer than anything I've previously owned. First fuel injected car I've owned too.

It's a gas pig, the headgasket went the week after I bought it which cost me nearly 1000 bucks to fix just in parts. I'm currently in the works of looking for something else.

I do enjoy exploring and 4x4ing in it though, perfect to sleep in the back of and haul camping gear.

2015-07-26%2011.23.21%201_zpsxnogtbpj.jp

Insurance company fought us on our sons 85 celica over what it was worth,,, finally gave us $2500. NADA lowest value that we asked for to begin with,,   with the totaled car included..  80s Toyotas aren't those cheap ass throw away cars they used to be 15 years ago. Hell just one tail light on your wagon would cost more than what the whole wagon was worth back then..

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Little update.

The 4runner got some 33x10.5s that came off a Hilux getting parted out. Set of 5, basically brand new tires and steel rims.

20160411_175130_zpss3ifdb5l.jpg

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly the V6 is proving to be pretty unreliable. I've been battling coolant and oil leaks ever since doing the headgaskets. My fault possibly for rushing through that job. But I finally found the motivation to hunt them down. Having recently replaced the timing belt and a idler bearing that was making noise, I noticed having the timing cover off that the valley was full off coolant. I wasn't surprised, as I knew of the bypass pipe underneath the intake that I had previous siliconed.

Went through the task of taking off the intake, which is very much a pain in the ass. Due to the number off vacuum lines, but also having to take off the timing belt bearing that I had just replaced because it bolts to the top of the damn intake manifold!

20160511_191452_zpsejzxwj2h.jpg   

Anyways, resealed that pipe (where it goes into the top of the block). And...It's still leaking! I'm not sure from where anymore lol

• Like 1

Took the 4runner camping anyways. I'm definitely a sucker for punishment with  this truck, because it is sooooo much fun and so useful that I continue to get my ass kicked by maintaining it.

2 hours down logging roads took us to a very nice sandbar on Nitinat river.

Leaning up against the tire is 3 feet of tail pipe that broke off at the muffler  :rofl:  Poor truck

20160521_154937_zps74eeiynb.jpg

20160521_212211_zpsqcn1cn9v.jpg

This is what you use when you simultaneously break a chair and your stove.

20160521_192901_zpsmvbzwdql.jpg

• Like 2

I work at a dealer, and this little Civic came in on trade (on a $55k new Audi, talk about an upgrade). For $1500 I became the owner of this 2000 EK hatchback, 185kms, one lady owner 5 speed. DX trim level, so manual everything and no A/C, but special edition, so it has the wing and alloy wheels. Pretty clean little car, well maintained, bumpers are scuffed and cracked.

Being the 4runner is still leaking and is draining my bank account from fuel bills, I picked up the Honda as an opportunity to save money, being so economical, and also eventually flip it for a small profit.

20160530_145403_zpsoo5synyx.jpg

received_10206081265086817_zpszlpbdfvs.j

I've always liked early Hondas (I definitely wouldn't own anything newer than this one). Simple, very peppy, quiet and drives really nice). It's easy to understand why so many people own this and love these cars.

• Like 3