The Crusty Z (1978 280Z)

I have found a RB20DET with 264/264 cams installed, complete setup even harness and ECU, trans and all, with an intercooler and piping and a turbo header and some other stuff for a grand total of $1100. Its tempting.....  but hes 3 hours away and the van we use to haul stuff has no heat or defrost and its the dead of winter in NY so thats probably not happening. 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, its winter in NY which means its cold as fuck and theres snow everywhere and it never gets warm enough to melt. Being that I bought two more cars for a deal I couldn't refused (73 and 76 Beetles) and one of those is currently in my garage next to the Cutlass, the Datsun is still outside, in the driveway, waiting for me to get to it. Hopefully when the bug is done I'll throw some tires on the Datsun, rig up the gas can fuel tank again and drive it into the garage with only the E brake and it can get some attention. I'm thinking of running Integra DC2 coilovers and doing fender flares and 10x15 wheels with some stretched 215s, I think it'd be very purdy but I am a bit nervious about hacking out the quarter panels which are about the only nice, rust free part of the car  :rofl: . DC2 coilovers seem to be the easiest. Looks like you just cut the brackets off the bottom thread-on integra mounts, thread em off, cut the bottoms off and then cut the Datsun strut tubes and weld on the DC2 mount tube things and put a sleeve over it, piece of cake and cheap. I would run S13 coilovers except those require those special threaded adapter collar things that for some fuckall reason cost  $400 for some tube with threads in it  :confused: and thats just nuts and not in budget. 

just saying, rwd trannies for a 4g63 arent hard to find, starions, mighty maxs, and older rx7 trannies believe it or not.

I was reading up on that. It seems that adapters and whatnot would be required with most of those transmissions, or hard to find bellhousings from dodge D50's n shit. But the 4G63 is an amazing engine. Great results from just a stock engine with a set of 272 cams and an HX35 off a cummins. More than enough power for the Z. Just getting all the RWD stuff together is there it gets expensive and complicated. 

starion trans and mighty max trans have no issues mating up and working, Ill give you one if your serious about going 4g.

I would take you up on that offer and run a 4G63 but I'm all the way in NY and it looks like your in New Mexico, damn. How much is shipping on a transmission?  :rofl: