The Crusty Z (1978 280Z)

Hmm, push down on it, with a large flathead screwdriver get in there and try to break the bead? Then take the handle on a medium-sized crescent wrench or something and use the to swing it over the rim of the tire, have someone help you with two more crescent wrenches and just work your way around the rim. Do the same for the other side

Might work? Only idea I got

I already tried cramming a crow bar in there with no success. 

Or my favourite idea at this point: dump gas on it and burn it off

I kinda like that idea but I'm sure it'd warp the wheel lol

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Idk, at this point I'd rage quit

Thats the direction I'm going. I could probably take it to a tire shop to have it removed but it'd be a waste of money if I wasn't putting good tires back on it at that point, and I'm pretty sure I'm not planning on keeping these wheels on it so it'd be a waste to mount good tires to em, but I don't have the money to buy new wheels and tires. So, I dunno.

Yeah, quite a far trip. I would take a break from the 280 and work on my '69 Cutlass but there isn't much to do until I have more money. Same can be said for the 280. Just kinda waiting around for my title for my Trans Am still so I can sell that. I swear to god, they must have the stupidest motherfuckers working at the NYS DMV. How can it possibly take this long? It'll be week 10 on monday. Thats just unbelievable. Of course, they have no problem taking your cash right there on the spot. Theres no delay issue there. 

I've got a grinder with a cutoff wheel on it that I could use to zip it off but I don't want to cut/damage the wheel in the process if the cutoff wheel bounces off the rubber or whatever. Tempting to just zip it off that way but I can't waste a rim. 

Cut off wheel with the jack on it

While the jacks on the tire take a cut off wheel and cut the bead. You should have pretty good control of the grinder, I wouldn't worry about damaging the wheel, as long as your paying attention you should be able to feel the difference between metal and rubber while grinding.

While the jacks on the tire take a cut off wheel and cut the bead. You should have pretty good control of the grinder, I wouldn't worry about damaging the wheel, as long as your paying attention you should be able to feel the difference between metal and rubber while grinding.

Its pouring rain right now, but if it clears up, or tomorrow I might have that a shot. Then do the same for the other side. I'd really like to get this thing on 4 wheels that hold air, right now its on blocks 

Its kinda a tough decision, when I swap the 280Z should I pull the intact stock L28 6 banger and 5 speed and sell them, or throw two 150 shot kits of nitrous on it and run a pass at Lebanon Valley Dragway and see if I can run 11s before the block turns into swiss cheese?

Then don't spray off the line lol

But then I won't get to pull a kick ass wheelstand! lol but in all seriousness I do plan on picking up a NOS kit just to use for various vehicles and It'd be fun to pound a 250-300 shot into the datsun. I've gotta keep an eye on craigslist.

Yeah, quite a far trip. I would take a break from the 280 and work on my '69 Cutlass but there isn't much to do until I have more money. Same can be said for the 280. Just kinda waiting around for my title for my Trans Am still so I can sell that. I swear to god, they must have the stupidest motherfuckers working at the NYS DMV. How can it possibly take this long? It'll be week 10 on monday. Thats just unbelievable. Of course, they have no problem taking your cash right there on the spot. Theres no delay issue there. 

have you gone into your SOS? they might be able to help. the PO was having trouble and the lady messed up his address and it was returned to sender but no notifications

have you gone into your SOS? they might be able to help. the PO was having trouble and the lady messed up his address and it was returned to sender but no notifications

Is an SOS the same thing as a DMV? I'm gonna call the DMV tomorrow and see what I can find out. 

On the plus side today my dad picked up an air tool kit at a yard sale, which will make working on crusty old datsun 10x easier.

airtools_zpsbf390142.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yay an update!

I got the tire de-beaded. What a fuckin job. I had to max out the jack between the tire and the trailer in 3 places for it to finally pull free. the other side took about 5 minutes. It got too dark and I had to go to a dinner thing so I didn't get the tire completely off the rim but I did get 1 side of the tire over the lip of the rim. Side #2 is gonna be a PITA but I have a sawzall so....

280tire_zpsdd8a5f4a.jpg

So, my sawzall won't cut thru the bead of the tire. great. Shitty bent dull blade but I can't find any others. But I got my Trans Am title back in the mail and posted it up for sale. Hopefully someone takes that off my hands soon then I'll have some cash to play with with the Datsun

Figure its worth asking, anyone here upgrade to bigger calipers or something and have a set of stockers that are still usable that they'd donate to The Crusty Z for the cost of shipping? Ballin' on a budget wanna get this thing rolling haha. Mods, if posting this in a build thread is against forum rules let me know I'll edit the post, please don't delete the thread.

• 1 month later...

Well guess what? I sold my Trans Am and now have Datsun funds! I've already bought an engine hoist, engine stand, and some misc welding stuff from harbor freight on their black friday sale. Also got my hands on a TH350 Transmission. Hopefully getting a 4.8 LS engine at the end of this week. Looks like I'm going turbo LSX. Once I get the engine home and on the stand I'll put some roller tires on the back of the 280 and get this thing in the garage and yank the L28. Game plan is to get this thing done by spring. Got new blades for the sawzall so tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can cut the tire off the wheel. 

• Like 1

datsun moneys!!!!! haha but i still wish you'd keep the engine nissan, not american.... but thats just how i am :P

Eh, cash for powa Nissan doesn't have what I need, atleast not domestically lol. I was looking at an RB20DET from a JDM importer for like $1200 but I'd still need a rear sump pan custom ($400+) and some other doo-dads and I'd only make like 170 WHP and if I break something I have to buy another $900 engine. I was looking into a KA-T but as much power as they make they just don't sound...... good. And exhaust note is a big thing for me lol. I'd like to run a 4G63 but the lack of transmission options is a deal breaker price wise. LS is just the way to go for power per dollar and parts availability. If I had unlimited funds I'd have an RB25DET with a big turbo and a nice set of cams in there.