Transmission and Differential Info Needed!

TheGam1ngK1ng

So I have a 78 Datsun B210 2 door sedan. Sometime in its life, its transmission was converted from a 4 speed to a 5 speed. The transmission is a 60 series and I'm assuming that the transmission is from a later 210. It has a problem with the input shaft bearing. Makes a "whirring" in every gear except for 4th. I was wondering if this bearing would work

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1208821,parttype,8708

Also I need to know what kind of fluid works well with the transmission and what kind of fluid is best for the rear differential. Thanks!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First off you will need to know if its a  60L or 60A   (dog leg or standard shift pattern.)  Im not sure if it matters as far as the bearing goes.

GL4  is the gear oil you will be looking for the trans

Does it have the noise when you depress the clutch peddle?  Is the throwout bearing bad maybe?

It is a standard pattern (1st gear in in the top left, USA).

Well there is a little noise that goes away when I press the clutch in. and like I said there is a kinda loud, annoying noise that happens in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th. SO I think it is the the input shaft, I'm not sure though.

Wouldn't my symptoms be the opposite if it was the throw out bearing? Maybe if I just change my transmission oil, it will go away? 

The mainshaft bearing is used on every gear but 4th has significantly less as power is sent straight through the transmission and no gears are involved. The counter bearing has side loading on it and transmits power in every gear but 4th. The mainshaft bearing is a large ball bearing unit while the counter is a small cage with needle bearings in it that just rides in the front case. Counter bearings are usually the cause of the noise. About $20 and maybe $30 for the mainshaft at dealer.

If the oil is very low top it up. This might quiet it if it hasn't run like this too long. I think this is an easy fix at home job.

Sweet, thanks guys! I noticed the sound when I bought the car so I'm not sure how long it has been going on for. So just replace the main shaft and counter bearing? 

I have been having problems with the clutch too. Just started last week but sometimes it doesn't want to go into gear unless I let go of the clutch and press it again. Could that be my clutch going out?

Check the clutch master cylinder beside the brake master. The clutch is activated by a hydraulic system. If air gets in it is compressible and the clutch won't disengage properly. Fluid might be low or you may have to bleed the air out. Brake fluid will work in the clutch master..