smog blues & a dead pulley

that-son

well it was a long and winding road (literally and figuratively speaking)  but i finally passed it today.  yeehaw!  the numbers are above average but still below the maximum allowable.  i'm happy.  now i have two years to enjoy the truck and figure out how to get better numbers next time.  a new carb and maybe a new cat.  any ideas? 

for this test, ihooked up all vac lines and sprayed maybe two cans of carb cleaner down the carb and into the power booster vac line.  maybe next time i'll soak the cat in a tub of degreaser or brakekleen. 

i've been ready to get it smogged for a few days now but things just would not stop breaking.  this was the latest when i got to the smog station today.

DSCN0025_zpsabc7dab0.jpg

i've been hearing funny noises for a while now but that pulley showed no indication at all it was dying.  i guess now i know what a dying pulley sounds like.  could that have been from over tightening?  i almost went home but upon closer inspection determined that it was just for the powersteering pump so i decided to cut the belt.  i have three new belts anyway that i was planning on installing when i get a new radiator.  i guess they're going in now.

the question is... how do i fix it?  i don't think it's covered in the haynes manual.

looks like i lost a bearing.

DSCN0027_zps6edb3e41.jpg

does that thing (can i call it a spindle?) where the pulley goes unscrew?  how do i take it out?

DSCN0026_zps6a1ffd11.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be held to the front of the motor with a couple of bolts. You will probably need to cut the old bearing race off the adjuster. You can go to NAPA and get a new bearing for the idler. Remove the circlip, pound the old bearing out and install the new one. You will probably spend more for a used one at a yard then a new bearing and who knows how long the used one will last?

• Like 1

The long adjuster bolt will simply unscrew from the bearing part. The nut on the front locks it in place. Always remember to loosen first, then adjust belt, then tighten the nut. You don't need to remove the bracket that holds it to the engine. I believe the pully/bearing assembly comes with a new adjusting screw

It appears that any Z series engine with PS has the same idler pulley/bearing including the '80-'82 S110 200sx. About $40 at the dealer.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...