A14 ENGINE! needs rebuilding??

ricky559

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that depends on what toast is. If you can examine the walls I assume the head is off. Otherwise as long as the compression is even and not burning too much oil it should be fine.

The best way is to measure, or have measured, the cylinders for wear. This would be at least 6 measurements two at 90 degrees in three positions down the cylinder looking for oval, taper and simple excessive wear. Round rings will not follow an oval shape nor can they be expected to expand and contract to seal a tapered cylinder not fit a too large cylinder. The factory service manual provides minimum and maximum values for these kinds of wear. If they exceed these limits the block should be bored out to at least the next over size and matching over size pistons and rings used. This will give you basically a new engine. Chrome rings can be used on the perfectly new bores.

It is possible that the rings are worn out yet the bore is withing specifications and a simple hone and re ring is needed. The old pistons are used and standard size rings. Usually cast iron rings are used where the cylinders are not newly bored. They break in faster and seal better than chrome ones.

Over boring can cost $25 and up per cylinder. New over size pistons and ring sets are needed. At least a head gasket and oil pan gasket. Often new valve seals are added to reduce oil consumption as the head is off and easy to work on. New rod and main bearings reduce clearances, boost oil pressure and add longer life to the engine.

If you do all the work it would be the cost of gaskets and rings. Probably under $100. Add bore the block and the new pistons and rings $200-$300 more. Optional valve seals and bearings, add another $100. Just a guess. Price these things yourself.

I just bought stuff to rebuild an A12 motor...about 330.00 from RockAuto

2 upper gasket kits

2 lower gasket kits

main bearings

rod bearings

timing kit

water pump

oil pump

I had a set of rings already and got extra gasket kits as I have several A motors laying around.

One word of caution, Do not order the Sealed Power main bearings that they have listed in STD size.  They are mismanufactured, after I received my second set that was wrong, they told me there was nothing more they could do and will issue a refund upon receipt of the second set.  So, they were willing to leave me out to dry with a motor torn apart in my garage.  Fortunately, an A12 block and an A14 block take the same main bearings....so I ordered a set of DNJ for an a14 (79 210 application) arrived today.