1973 datsun 620 pickup, if i try to start it ALL of the electrical goes out

Superfunk

Hi all;

One day I went to start my 620 truck, and when I turned the key to start the truck, the " CHG, and BK " red light flashed on, and then a huge bang, it sound like a gun going off right next to me inside the truck, even the neighbors heard it, and then ALL of the electrical went out, including all of the lights. 

I went out, and bought a new battery, and positive battery cable with a new Fusibile Link, and when I hooked it up all of the lights worked again. I tried to start the truck, and I just heard a small clunk, and then all of the electrical including the lights went off again.

If you leave the truck alone for a day, or two, and then hook up the battery the same thing happens again.

Today I hooked up the battery again, and the lights came on, so I took my hand held starter button, and clamped it onto the starter switch, and the positive side of the new battery. The key in the ignition was off, so I pressed the starter button, and nothing happened, except all of the electrical system including the lights went dead again, and the motor never had a chance to turn over.

I am now thinking that it is a bad starter that is doing all of his electrical going dead stuff, but I have never seen this before with a bad starter. This is my first Datsun pickup, so I am now clueless.

Has anyone else ever experenced this, and does anyone know how to fix it.? .. ( My Fusible Link is still ok. )

Thanks for any help, I need it.

George

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the engine tries to start it was likely a backfire out the exhaust. It sounds like a shotgun and can split a muffler.

Try the headlights. Are they working or dim? If dim the battery needs to be charged.

Pull the small Black/Yellow starter signal wire off the starter. Turn the key to start. Do the headlights go out?

Put the wire back on and try start. Do the headlights dim when there is a clunk sound?

If yes then the battery is dead or close to dead or the starter is bad, seized or the engine is seized and drawing too much current.

• Like 1

Start inspecting all your cables and wires. Look for any melted or exposed (hot) wires. Possibly a wire shorted to ground. Before you start assuming its an electrical component, test the parts and inspect engine harness/wires. If you have to, remove the starter and sniff for a burnt smell and take it to go get tested.