While I was sleeping AKA What happen to Craigslist prices!

Anybody else think CL prices for pre 90's cars have shot up this year or have I been under a rock. I know the housing market around Seattle has shot up so did the car market pricing reset too?

Are people really getting these prices?

Did Leno do an episode declaring all pre 1990 cars are gold?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many 80's cars have been going up in value for the past several years. For some people it's the only way to get a 'classic' car and for others it's wanting to relive their youth with car that maybe they or their parents drove back then or just wished they had. There are a lot of cars from the 80's that I've always been a little embarrassed that I like but now they're viewed as classics and are in demand. Same goes for cars from the 70's and 60's etc. and the same thing will happen with cars from the 90's and beyond, though I do think that the limited amount of RWD cars will effect that.

It could also be that the economy is such that many more people can't afford the 90s and 2000s second or third hand vehicles. Maybe they are too complicated, too expen$ive to fix?. Maybe they are just crap and worn out after only 20 years? This makes earlier ones more valuable.

I think about who was driving these little econo boxes back then, we were. Now that this age group is in a place to have a small amount of disposable income for such exotics (ha ha) and so many have been wrecked or sent to china to make washers and dryers. You have the making of a supply and demand issue.

Also, we all see the auction houses selling these cars for such exuberant prices and the WWW making classifieds so easy to access it's going to be a race to acquire the ones that have any style or sentimental history.

I would guess that is why hotwheels best sellers have all been these cheap little cars. Damn memory lane.

Unfortunately the "Cash for Clunkers" program also drove the values of the older cars up.  Caused a supply vs. demand value shift.

So many good chassis with blown headgaskets got sent to the crusher for the short term quick cash being offered. 

At the time all those econobox 90's cars were still in decent condition, and actively being driven, so they were less likely to get scrapped. 

As of late I've referred to Craiglist as being "broken" due to the same increase in prices you mentioned, lol