[clarkson] Its a Jaaaaaag [/clarkson]

See what?

Why are we shoving motors that weigh significantly more in 510s?

At least the 350 is probably comparable weight to the stock motor, and possibly lighter... I find your argument invalid.

I have no problem with other brand motors in datsuns, F20C, 4g63/64... I have problems with badly thought out swaps.

My point is most Datsun owners balk at any engine swap into their cars that isn't made by Nissan. So in that we are like Jag owners clubs and don't really approve of it. It would get grudging approval if done well but we would like it better if it had a Nissan VK56 engine instead of a chevy.

You didn't say a comparable weight engine...

my neighbor has a beautiful red XJS with a small block. On some nice wire wheels. Who ever did the swap did it right, as it looks factory. He says he cant take it to any place that specializes in Jags as all he gets are bad looks. I just dont understand why swapping in a motor that is more powerful and reliable is a bad thing...

I'm sure there are any amount of smaller more powerful engines that could have been used. Skib's response was "impractical". Perhaps this is also the response of Jag owners as well? They see it as a bastard. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there are any amount of smaller more powerful engines that could have been used. Skib's response was "impractical". Perhaps this is also the response of Jag owners as well? They see it as a bastard. 

I see it as impractical when you use a 510 as an eample, not because its a chev but because we all know it doesnt fit.

unlike the S30. and the Jag and the Z both, have an inline 6 (or V12 in some of the Jags), both have had small blocks tossed in them for years and years, and both are so common theres multiple full swap kits, books and guides for them.

you see the odd thing about Jag owners is there over all mentality when it comes to modding anything at all...

its not that your putting a different brand in, its that your modding at all past the small list of whats seen as ok

(putting in a modern stereo).

like we will take what we can and find ways of making things better

(S130 struts on a 510, yota 4 by 4 brakes on a 240z, or bmw projectors)

they would never in there life even think about it even if it was all Jaguar. they are not tinkerers and wrench turners the way that we are, They do hate the V8 swap for the same reasons some Z guys do tho, there the mentality of the guys that say you should have left it L powered... but not the mentality of the guys that tell you, you should have at least kept it Nissan/Japanese with an RB/2J

Its a very strange mentality and vibe in that camp....

maybe its the massive lacking of DIY mechanical... or DIY anything really

tumblr_mwnl7zN8i91rwxqyeo1_r1_1280_zps1a

that this is freaking gorgeous.

I have a 90' xjs with the v12. Rediculously quiet and smooth, but its NOT fast, and gets pretty shitty gas mileage. It runs awesome, and i have no desire to change anything about it (no im not 90 or english and i mod the crap out of my datto) but i wouldn't be upset by a 350 at all.

Interjag down here in Huntington Beach made a kit and did installs ,there are a lot down here also ,I passed on one at an estate sale because front window was all smashed and too many cars , back to swapping ,why do they put all those A series Datsun engines in all those Euro cars ,because they run and are easy to repair and parts ,unlike stock motor unavailable parts , an A series (B210) trans brings 800-1000 bucks because it bolts in some Euro cars , have one some where !

• 2 weeks later...

haven't done a ton with the Jag other than drive it sine I yanked the engine out.

the old Lucas electrical is.... well.... British. lol.

mms_picture197_zps0db8466e.jpg

The old fuses where rugged at best, it still had the old Lucas glass fuses with a bit of paper in them for the label....

Built a new one with modern blade fuses.

mms_picture192_zpsa9bde32c.jpg

Overall the interior is pretty clean

mms_picture194_zps3f05b721.jpg

mms_picture195_zps1cbcac8f.jpg

but being 40 years old as it is bits and pieces are pulling apart so I pulled the front pass. panel, pealing the worst.

mms_picture196_zps3088488c.jpg

and gettin it glued back together and cleaned up.

mms_picture198_zpsa27cf8e7.jpg

mms_picture193_zpsbe158dca.jpg