L16 from a 510 into a 77 620

Jasper

Searched around for maybe an hour and couldn't find anything conclusive. I've just bought a rebuilt L16 that was intended to be used in a 510, and it came with a 4-speed trans from a 510.

I'm planning on dropping the L16 into my 620, and was wondering if it's just going to be a drop in deal, or if I'm going to have to swap the flywheel/clutch disc.

Also, I guess while I'm here, what can I take from the L20b in the truck currently, and mount onto the L16? I'm pretty sure the fuel pump is the same, but what about the Distributor? I believe the water pumps are different, but I'm not sure.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The motor will fit the '77 but not the 4 speed. You will need the release bearing collar from the 510 and fit it on the clutch arm on the '77 transmission.

Use the '77 oil pan and engine mounts (rubber) and engine brackets (metal).

Your down pipe is different so for now use the '77 intake and exhaust manifolds, they are joined together.

The 510 carb uses a linkage while the '77 uses a cable.

Use the smaller '77 alternator to clear the idler arm.

• Like 1

The motor will fit the '77 but not the 4 speed. You will need the release bearing collar from the 510 and fit it on the clutch arm on the '77 transmission.

Use the '77 oil pan and engine mounts (rubber) and engine brackets (metal).

Your down pipe is different so for now use the '77 intake and exhaust manifolds, they are joined together.

The 510 carb uses a linkage while the '77 uses a cable.

Use the smaller '77 alternator to clear the idler arm.

Cool, so I have everything I need. Only thing left to do now is remove all the bolts holding the trans to the engine, and then disconnect the motor mounts and pull the motor out.

Is it possible to use a 510 exhaust manifold in the 620? I ask because I think the manifold in the truck is cracked. I intend to eventually make a new exhaust anyway, since I have lots of spare exhaust pipe laying around. Just curious if it interferes with the steering column or something.

Also need to poke around and find a Weber 32/36.

Should be able to finish this thing up in one or two more days of solid work, if I can manage to wake my ass up before noon, haha.

The '77 exhaust manifold is a single large round outlet pipe to a single down pipe.

The L16 exhaust manifold has two smaller outlet pipes to a two pipe down pipe that becomes is welded together into one, bends and goes under the floor. If you're good you could make one.