New 720 owner here, 84 model and needing tips

newdatsunowner720

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How hard is it to replace the tach? I want the one with rpm if that's possible

You would have to have one first to replace it. It is an option and probably standard equipment on the ST model. RPMs is all that a tach reads in. Get the factory one, it looks way better than anything after market.

620stuff003Large.jpg

Clock is plug and play, you may have to add a fuse in the #8position of the fuse box. Either get the clear plastic cover or drill a hole for the adjustment knob. Yours will have a small dent in the plastic where the hole goes.

The tach simply plugs into the dash just like the clock but you need the in line 2.2K ohms dropping resister located in the harness near the coils and the driver's side headlights.

22Kresistor2.jpg

If you find an '83 and up 720 with the round tach, check the wire harness as mentioned and get this resistor. Tach won't work without it. The plug for it will be taped up in the same location on your harness ... just plug it in.

Thank you for the pics, I'm definitely a visual learner lol but can I get a factory tach from eBay maybe ? I'll have to try to see if I can find one on there. I don't of too many junk yards around me that had a lot of yep pickup stuff. I'll have to look in a junkyard tho too

I have some tachs and clocks available.................pm  if interested

P7140016.jpg

In all the 84 to 86 720 wiring harnesses I have worked with over the years they all have had the tach resistor in place and if the model did not have the tach from the factory the wires were taped up in the cluster harness.  Install one of Sealick's tachs and plug in should work fine.  If tach does not work then the resistor is missing.

Pick n pull should be fine for that haha.

I just pull the lower radiator house to drain coolent.

Re torque your head bolts, z24's, which I think is what you have if you've got a 84, are known for blowing head gaskets every 100,000 miles.

I'll wait for someone smarter than me to give you good instructions on how to do that tho.

I have a 84, i'm pushing 515k miles on the original engine, i have only put one head gasket in it. Everything else accept for reverse gear and maybe a fuel pump and a speedo cable is all original. I drive it hard, and it goes like a bat outa hell.

• Like 1

Out the exhaust? Believe it or not... there is an anti backfire valve on the 720. It uses a vacuum signal to open a valve and let air into the intake to lean it out when decelerating. Normally the super high vacuum sucks more fuel in than can be burned and it pops (plus it pollutes which is the main reason for it) 

at what rpm's does it backfire?  all my backfiring issues went away when i plugged all the vacuum leaks, installed the ab valve, adjusted the timing, idle speed and air/fuel ratio.  when i did all that,  the engine came to life.  i mean... i've never heard it roar like that.   then this cloud of smoke blew out the exhaust and i remember thinking oh no... what did i break now?  but i drove it around the block and it cleared right up.  

rockauto lists the ab valve as a diverter valve.

here are the oem and aftermarket part number for it.

http://www.yoyopart.com/oem/6478372/nissan-14835u6701.html