New 720 owner here, 84 model and needing tips

newdatsunowner720

Hey guys,

I'm new owner of an 84 model 720 pickup. I have some few questions to ask you guys as a forum. I'm new to any kind of mechanic work like total newbie but I'm mechanically inclined and willing to learn new things on my truck. Okay here's the situation ... I bought my truck and the first day igot it it broke down on my home , luckily wife was following me and we got it towed back home. I traced the cranking problem back to the fuel pump and replaced it. Its running fine now and I haven't drove it any long distance but wanting to use it as a daily commuter (not my only car). The other day when i was looking over the trucks engine I saw that the coolant was low and it was all rusted looking and nasty. I was wondering how to get this out of the system and put New coolant in the system. Also, with engine running fine right now that's know of is there anything I should do to make it run better or any kind of PM that I could do ? also anyone know where I could get a New cheap coolant resovoir for my truck as the one In mine has a whole in it hence that's why all the coolant is nasty.

thanks guys

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pick n pull should be fine for that haha.

I just pull the lower radiator house to drain coolent.

Re torque your head bolts, z24's, which I think is what you have if you've got a 84, are known for blowing head gaskets every 100,000 miles.

I'll wait for someone smarter than me to give you good instructions on how to do that tho.

A better one is the '84 Nissan FSM factory service manual. It's the bible for your year of truck. E-Bay?

The coolant is brown because the previous owner did not look after it. All cooling systems need an anti freese coolant with rust inhibitors. Water added should be distilled or rain water. The block, the heater core and the rad all need to be flushed out to get rid of the rust and scale.

After I flush out the system. What is calls recommended actions on making this a better longer lasting truck. I wanna be able to trust this truck on about a 8 mile round trip knew or twice a week do y'all think that's possible with this truck having 134k on it. I mean I am kinda gunshy of it right now cause when I first drove it back home it broke down on me. Therefore I replaced the fuel pump and it has fixed it's cranking problems. I have drove it around town and no problems right now but idk about a long distance drive. Also what are t be symptoms. Of overheating without relying on the gauge cluster. Thanks guys for all the advice I'm very thankful of it!

The Z24 has a history of blowing the head gasket at about 100K intervals. The factory preventative is to re-torque the head at every tune up, or at least once a year. The procedure is to do this on a cold engine, loosen one head bolt and tighten to 60 ft lbs, move to the next bolt. You can do this in any order you like, just remember one bolt at a time. Don't be surprised if some of the bolts already feel loose.