Have 13" Libres, want 280ZX struts/brakes

guyster

I have a set of 13" Libres - probably knockoffs - and a Ratsun guy told me that I may be able to grind the caliper of a 280ZX to clear the inner wheels. He recalled that this was the ONLY 13" wheel where that works.

Of course, if they're knockoffs, then it would be hard to say with certainty, though those molds weren't exactly changed much when knocked off. I've tried searching the forums and maybe I just have gooey fingers, but can you answer or point me in the right direction?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He recalled that this was the ONLY 13" wheel where that works.

Also, maybe not applicable, but for what it's worth that is not "the ONLY 13" wheel" that fits.   

If you want 13" wheels and 280ZX brakes, these bolt right up...

normal_little_wiggly_012_final.jpg

Those are Diamond Racing wheels in a 13x7 +0. I have also seen the Aero 13x7 +0 and Bart 13x7 +0 on 280ZX struts. The difference is the that the steel wheels have a much thinner barrel, so...

• Like 1

I loved the look of the Libres, but getting decent street tires in the size I wanted (205/60r13) was pretty much impossible. Federal made that size, but were discontinued five years ago (so I've been told). Nankang also makes that size, but are on back order until who knows when. Only other option was to get an R compound tire that would have cost $600+ a set, and only get a few thousand miles out of them; something else for you to consider. I didn't like the idea of stretching a 185/70 on them, and wouldn't have looked good on my flared 510.

• Like 1

Dont waste your time with the bigger brakes.

It's not that I WANT to go to bigger brakes, it's that I'm having a hell of a time finding brake parts (rotors and calipers, in particular). Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place? Rock Auto, no! Autozone, no! Ebay, no! 

(Mike, this is for my 510 [new project], not my 120Y, by the way).

Federal 595 comes in 205/60-13 and has a decent tread wear rating.

I have yet to find them thru a dealer, 

They are on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/P205-60R13-FEDERAL-FORMOZA-FD1-205-60-13-PONY-MINI-/150774717107?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Tires&fits=Section+Width%3A205%7CAspect+Ratio%3A60%7CRim+Diameter%3A13&hash=item231adf9ab3&vxp=mtr

but they can be purchased thru the US Legends Car group or one of its dealers as they are their spec tire.

and yes they are DOT legal for street use.

http://www.uslegendcars.com/start_racing/find_a_dealer/

Guess they gave up on using the BF Goodrich version? Last I looked (and it's been awhile) that's what our local Legends guys were running. Guess BFG quit making them finally...

Federal 595 comes in 205/60-13 and has a decent tread wear rating.

I have yet to find them thru a dealer, but they can be purchased thru the US Legends Car group or one of its dealers as they are their spec tire.

and yes they are DOT legal for street use.

http://www.uslegendcars.com/start_racing/find_a_dealer/

Ran a well camber worn set of these on my dime for a while for both street and auto x use and was very happy with them surprisingly given how worn they were- actually considered buying them again until i found a killer deal on super soft hankook race slicks

I have since gone to 15s for street … largely for tire options. Still like my 13s for auto x though… 13's with 4.11s = stupid quick

but… I'm still running… and plan on running 510 brakes… my 510 calipers w/ porter field r4s pads seem to be more then enough to stop my l20b car.

• Like 1

but… I'm still running… and plan on running 510 brakes… my 510 calipers w/ porter field r4s pads seem to be more then enough to stop my l20b car.

Have you ever had trouble sourcing parts for your 510 brakes?

This is good information. As I said above, I feel compelled to switch to 280ZX brakes due to parts availability concerns for 510 brakes. But if I can stay with the originals, I'd rather. 

Have you ever had trouble sourcing parts for your 510 brakes?

This is good information. As I said above, I feel compelled to switch to 280ZX brakes due to parts availability concerns for 510 brakes. But if I can stay with the originals, I'd rather. 

I have not so far… can't say that I won't in the future though. Last I ordered parts, I was still able to get stainless brake lines, and pads/shoes… I do need to pick up a set of rotors which I believe can still be had… but I have not had to source any caliper parts… 

• Like 1

FWIW, there are other upsides to 280ZX struts besides bigger brakes. 

Stock brakes are great for almost any L-series, though.   :thumbup:

Took my front brakes apart this weekend and they look great. I think I'll stick with them, clean 'em up, and keep the build simple. Thanks for your comments!

Now if one of you can find the ONLY SET of keys that I have for my Nova, I'd be much obliged. "Why does he only have one set of car keys for his Nova? What an idiot."