Best way to locate a hard to find oil leak?

choke artist

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You could try some oil dye and a UV light.

It can be a PITA though if the leak is at the front of the motor and the fan spreads the oil all over everywhere, lights up the engine bay light a cheap hotel room on CSI, lol

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trl-tp-3405?seid=srese1&gclid=CMDqmt_ZssACFQ5rfgodtZAAdw

trl-tp-3405_ml.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w2468

wmr-w2468_ml.jpg

I used Summit to give examples but, they both can be purchased locally too.

• Like 2

What I do is get the motor as clean as possible - with paraffin/engine cleaner/hp washer etc. Then start the motor and lie under it with a strong light

Reflecting on how my life choices have led to laying under a running car... :rofl:

I do the same.  One tip I heard from vintage motorcycle guys - after cleaning, get a dry cooking spray with flour, like Pam, hit the suspect spots.  Highlights the oil fast.  Have even heard of using athlete's foot powder in the same way.

• Like 1

If oil smell is the symptom, it's likely just your crank case vent isn't piped right, or your valve cover vent isn't plumbed right. Most folks just run these open air (through some hokey screen) and call it good. This means you get to smell engine fume as you drive. Take a pic of your engine and post.