New member , new to 620

Hrvat9

Hey guys , new to the forum and new to 620s. Had a 73 240z once upon a time ago, restored half of the car before someone wanted to trade and RHD mitsubishi evolution 1 for it so I did it. I have since sold the car and found this beautiful 78 620 in Canada, Saskatchewan to be precise. Bought it and waiting for it to be shipped over , it is making its journey right now ! It's an auto and of course , I want to make it a manual. my question is can I use a manual trans from an 80s diesel nissan? It's the only thing I can find at my disposal right now...going to have pics up in a sec

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@ 2eDeYe : aww really ? Shoot ... Looks like I'm stuck with auto for a bit ugh. :( really want to make it manual! I still haven't received the truck, it's in transit right now on the CN rail. I'll take pics myself when I get the truck in my possession, will be about a week!

Nissan Motor Company Australia casting. Can't tell from the picture if diesel or not but they only came with 5 speeds. Unfortunately the bolt pattern wont allow your L series engine to bolt up.

If you have that transmission, or it is cheap, keep it. All you need now is the front case from an L series 4 or 5 speed to convert it so it will fit your '78. Where are they shipping it to Ontario?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Alright time to get this build up and going , here's some pics of what went down today

Starting to take the insides out !

image_zps60f2bacd.jpg

Uncovering the disease

image_zps1720dc30.jpg

Doesn't look too bad back here at least

image_zps19afa3b0.jpg

Drivers side

image_zpsc3f0b403.jpg

Passenger side

image_zps2764937a.jpg

Got some welding to do here boys! Gonna continue tomorrow, so happy I finally got into the 620 :)

• Like 2

Hey guys , new to the forum and new to 620s. Had a 73 240z once upon a time ago, restored half of the car before someone wanted to trade and RHD mitsubishi evolution 1 for it so I did it. I have since sold the car and found this beautiful 78 620 in Canada, Saskatchewan to be precise. Bought it and waiting for it to be shipped over , it is making its journey right now ! It's an auto and of course , I want to make it a manual. my question is can I use a manual trans from an 80s diesel nissan? It's the only thing I can find at my disposal right now...going to have pics up in a sec

Nice looking truck,  and welcome.  The diesel trans will not fit.  The only 720 trans that will fit is the 1980 720 2 WD.  You will need the trans, fly wheel all hardware bolts. sheet metal spacer between the block and the transmission (usually 2 pieces), clutch master with steel line, complete clutch and brake pedal assemblies (pictured below), clutch slave cylinder withe hose and hardware, and the wiring harness the that goes to the alternator starter oil pressure sending unit and transmission (it is the round plug on the firewall side of the battery), also the shifter and shifter boot.  You will need a 5 Speed starter and bolts also. Keep all the parts from the automatic including hardware (nuts bolts miscelaneous).

You will need all of these parts pictured or circled in red.  Green circle keep all parts and hardware associated with automatic swap you will be able to sell these..

620L20BPlate.jpg

620LsoBFlywheelandHardware.jpg

620L20BClutchandHarware.jpg

620ClUtchMasterCylinderforSlaveCylinder.

620ClutchSlaveCylinderandHardware.jpg

620ClutchandBrakePedalAssemblies.jpg

WiringNeeded.jpg

6205Speed1976620to1980720.jpg

5205SpeedShifterAssemblywithBoot.jpg

6205SpeedShifterBootandHardware.jpg

Nice looking truck,  and welcome.  The diesel trans will not fit.

While this is true the front case from an L series 71B 4 or 5 speed will swap onto it and make it fit. This may be easier to do than find an L series transmission itself. (just an option)

Charlie... nice pictures of what's needed for the swap.

While this is true the front case from an L series 71B 4 or 5 speed will swap onto it and make it fit. This may be easier to do than find an L series transmission itself. (just an option)

Charlie... nice pictures of what's needed for the swap.

You are correct about locating the L trans, I have personally never switched the front case so I leave that advise to the professionals like you and Wayno.

Thank you Mike.  I started to write up all the parts it takes to do the 5 speed swap and realized I would probably miss a bunch of little parts.  So I took some of my insomniac time and downloaded all the pictures opened and edited in Ms Paint saved and then up loaded to PB then copied and pasted here.  Killed 4 hours I had before driving a hundred miles to get some more Datsun parts.

By the way my Photobucket is open to the public so please help yourselves to what ever you like.  The is a link in my signature.

Its that piece that you step onto when getting out of the truck. Its a long metallic rail with three screws that you will find running across the bottom of the cab side of the door opening

Oh I just threw them out. Previous owner ruined it with a bunch of self tapping screws. Anyone buy the rocker panels from showcars-bodyparts.com? Got quoted 59 bucks for one and 40 bucks shipping.