HELP> 78 Datsun b210 gx

ricky559

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the same dogleg is used in all '77-'79 S10 200sx with manuals. Also the '79-'82 A10 (HL510) has an optional dogleg. In both cases you would have to swap your front case onto your old transmission to have the correct engine bolt pattern.

There are two other 5 speeds that will fit the A series engine that are from the later 210 (B-310) The length of them and if a different driveshaft is needed is beyond my knowledge. The resident expert on the A series transmissions is ggzilla but he hasn't been around for a couple of weeks. Have a look through... http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Transmission_Swaps 

"Well the same dogleg is used in all '77-'79 S10 200sx with manuals"

with the exception of the input shaft's  diameter where the pilot bushing rides.  The "A" series is smaller than the "L" series. 

A custom pilot bearing could be used here.

im pretty sure that any a-motor engine wont run very efficient at 80mph.   besides, what constitutes economy for you? i still got 35mpg on my automatic 3spd.  if you are wanting much more than that, maybe you shouldnt be driving a 40 year old car.

Fuel economy isn't the problem for me. I get great gas mileage. It's all about how you drive it. If you do huge pulls in all gears your fuel economy goes to shit. But 3k rpm shifts barely sip gas.

• Like 1

B210GX, on 26 Aug 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

"Well the same dogleg is used in all '77-'79 S10 200sx with manuals"

with the exception of the input shaft's diameter where the pilot bushing rides. The "A" series is smaller than the "L" series.

A custom pilot bearing could be used here.

I should have known that. I thought just the crankshaft hole and pilot were the difference. What about the spline count?
  • Like 1

Fuel economy isn't the problem for me. I get great gas mileage. It's all about how you drive it. If you do huge pulls in all gears your fuel economy goes to shit. But 3k rpm shifts barely sip gas.

My B210 easily coasts smoothly at 80mph.  It almost feels more comfortable there- the sound of the engine, the quality of the ride (smooth, like your floating, lol).  But, it could be because the freeways are…who the fu*k knows.  lol.  But at 80, he drives like a newer car.  I have a four speed tranny and he doesn't even hit 4k rpms.what????!!!!…  yup.  love this engine.  Now, if he would start.  Changed the timing chain and he hasn't started since.  Anyway, A-Series rules!  Maybe, it was between 77 and 80mph…but, yeah.  I LOVE RATSUN!

-ILR!

• Like 1

I've got a 4 speed,& a 5 speed around here,somewhere.

Interested?

Different drive shafts.

- Doug

• 4 weeks later...