Feels like autumn.

DatMo

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuel sending unit is in the tank.. fuel pump is bolted to the head.

I'll try to take off the tank I suppose and check it all out.

Last time I tried to take off the tank, it was stripped. I guess we'll have to redo some threads

Thanks!

Fuel sending unit is the sensor that reads fuel level. If you aren't getting fuel, it's a bad pump, or clogged line.

How would you suggest cleaning clogged lines? The pump worked when the hose was put into a Gatorade bottle.

You can try to back flowing the line with an air compressor and listening for bubbles in the tank.

ill flush my tank as well.

I've heard of people blowing some carb cleaner as well to try to kill the debris. Will do

So I'm busy with work and class but it ends this Thursday which is extremely exciting. Gonna spend a good amount of time getting some smaller stuff done Wednesday evening. SUPER excited for my new ideas to happen and complete the car! My goal is September 5th which is my birthday

Definitely flush the tank if you backflow the lines like Draker said, as you will likely suck that gunk back into the line at some point.

So I'm shooting all this shit back but nothing seems to be working or that I know of? I think I'm gonna open the tank from the flush point then shoot the air in. I couldn't hear bubbles too.

FWIW, I've had good luck with taking the hard line off the car, capping one end, then filling it with some chemicals to brake all that shit loose. Then blow it out and reinstall.

Exactly what I did. Air and cleaners shot out the other end so I believe that it's okay. My only issue is there's still no fuel on the start up! So I'm gonna get an electric universal fuel sender and install it somewhere tucked in the engine bay then I may need a new fuel pump as well.

I've also flushed the tank and added a fresh 5 gals of 91 with sea foam. I forgot how to do timing. I just wiggle the dizzy right? From what I remember you turn it until it's good enough by ear. I ordered a gun that will be here next week

Exactly what I did. Air and cleaners shot out the other end so I believe that it's okay. My only issue is there's still no fuel on the start up! So I'm gonna get an electric universal fuel sender and install it somewhere tucked in the engine bay then I may need a new fuel pump as well.

Not sure what you're referring to as sender here. Fuel sending units are what control fuel gauges. They don't actually send fuel. They are actually fuel LEVEL sending units.

Are you referring to installing a lift pump?

• Like 1

Not sure what you're referring to as sender here. Fuel sending units are what control fuel gauges. They don't actually send fuel. They are actually fuel LEVEL sending units.

Are you referring to installing a lift pump?

Sorry, I'm actually familiar with that but keep making that mistake lol

I'm speaking of an electric pump mid way from tank to pump to help the gas get there. 

Also a new pump. 

Why not diagnose your current pump before buying?

You did say it pumped fine from a gatorade bottle.

It can also take a long time to get fuel from the tank. I once installed a fuel filter while in Napas parking lot, thought nothing of it. I knew at idle my SUs could run on float bowl fuel for some time. While I changed the filter the fuel returned to the tank. When I started my car, it took 4 minutes to get fuel to enter the fuel filter in the engine bay, which was just long enough to make me worry that the carbs were going to drain the float bowls.

If you buy one of those crappy micro box electric pumps, know that it is supposed to be gravity fed, else they tend to burn out fast (well they burn out regardless).

Buy a Carter or Precision rotary fuel pump, they are much more reliable, and you can get rid of the mechanical pump entirely if you want.

Most of all, pay attention to PSI coming from the electric pumps, too little or too much are both problems.

Why not diagnose your current pump before buying?

You did say it pumped fine from a gatorade bottle.

It can also take a long time to get fuel from the tank. I once installed a fuel filter while in Napas parking lot, thought nothing of it. I knew at idle my SUs could run on float bowl fuel for some time. While I changed the filter the fuel returned to the tank. When I started my car, it took 4 minutes to get fuel to enter the fuel filter in the engine bay, which was just long enough to make me worry that the carbs were going to drain the float bowls.

If you buy one of those crappy micro box electric pumps, know that it is supposed to be gravity fed, else they tend to burn out fast (well they burn out regardless).

Buy a Carter or Precision rotary fuel pump, they are much more reliable, and you can get rid of the mechanical pump entirely if you want.

Most of all, pay attention to PSI coming from the electric pumps, too little or too much are both problems.

I figured that a new pump would just be cheaper because they're about $25 and it worked through the Gatorade bottle a few months ago. I feel like having it sit could have caused a problem and I'm not entirely sure how to diagnose them. I'll take it off and see if I can do anything with it.

I'll also consider the time it takes for fuel to get there.

Thanks. As far as an electric fuel pump, it it's more of a pump sender? My mgb gt has a sending unit that sends gas to the pump from the tank so it's like a puller unit if anything. I figured the Datsun could use that too. I'll see what happens.

I found a member with the carter p4070 and Holley 12-809 fpr but I don't know if I need another gauge? I really hope I don't because I have a good setup going but if I do, I do. i was hoping to get an electric fuel pump that doesn't need anything.