New B310 Owner

theindustrialist

Greetings. I've recently purchased a US model B310 coupe. It runs and drives, but the body is in rough shape. I plan to leave it in a style similar to the Motorfix corollas.

I'm planning on having the chassis of the B310 as close to the ground as possible.
The intitial setup will be 155/55s on 14x6 280zx wheels. I'll space the rears and have either RCA or NCRCA up front.
Up front I'll be running modified function form coilovers, with the lower perch welded to the B310 strut body.
This is the setup I currently have:

s2xq1y.jpg

The car with the above coilovers installed:

DSCF3604.jpg

In back I originally planned cut springs and shorter rear shocks, however I'm wondering if the adjustable spring perch from AE86 rear coil overs will work in the B310 chassis?

• Like 1
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm planning on having the chassis of the B310 as close to the ground as possible.

The intitial setup will be 155/55s on 14x6 280zx wheels. I'll space the rears and have either RCA or NCRCA up front.

Up front I'll be running modified function form coilovers, with the lower perch welded to the B310 strut body.

This is the setup I currently have:

s2xq1y.jpg

In back I originally planned cut springs and shorter rear shocks, however I'm wondering if the adjustable spring perch from AE86 rear coil overs will work in the B310 chassis?

Those coil overs would also fit a 1 1/2" shorter 280zx or Maxima strut which would give you a monster caliper and vented rotor up grade as well. You choice of zx 14"s will give lots of clearance for the rotors. I'm running S110 200sx 14" factory mags. Here's what the Maxima calipers look like on my 710...

710strutupgrade003Large.jpg

What spring rate are those fronts? Because you'll want to get somewhere near the same for the rears. You can cut the rear springs. This will lower and stiffen the stock spring but don't cut indiscriminately and wish you had cut less. There are formulas for working out how much. Cutting springs to set the ride height is wrong, it will lower, but you may find the rate increased way beyond what you want to drive on. If this is the case shorter but stiffer springs will be needed. Or like you say a coil over on the shock with the proper spring rate.

335 lb/in!!!!! on a light 310??? Racing 510s barely get over 300. Well whatever, but 225-275 is likely better suited. I'm running 150 and that's quite firm compared to stock 100. Yes, most go higher but over 300 on a street car? Seems over kill but you're young and can handle it. I'm old and like more comefort. I would start lower and work up.

Like the rear coils you pictured. Buy the rate you want and then set the ride height. Cutting coils is guess work. You don't know in advance what the results are.

• Like 1

I agree with cutting being a guestimate, however I haven't found anywhere selling rear AE86 perches directly; I may have to contact stance/ksport/megan/etc to see if I can purchase some, or perhaps find some used.

6K springs are what came with the function forms when I purchased them; if they prove to be too stiff I can purchase a pair of swift springs in whatever spring rate I want :)

Welcome to the club. I just got a 310 about 3 weeks ago. I really want to lower mine as well. However, I only paid $400 for it so I don't want to have more in suspension parts than I do the car. I'm looking at just cutting springs or lowering the spring perch.

I'm 6'3 and sit nice and low in the car with stock seats.

Post some picks of your ride.

• 1 month later...

The DC2 Integra coilovers I was running were too short, and wouldn't provide enough thread engagement in the lower mount.

New CG Accord coilovers were ordered and paired with some 9K swift springs I had laying around, and I also got new calipers, rotors, balljoints, sway bar endlinks, tie rod ends, and T3 RCA.

The rear has Mustang II Monroes and cut springs.

The car is now drivable, but needs a few small tweaks and an alignment. Hopefully I'll drive and work on it more in the near future.

DSCF4213.jpg

DSCF4220.jpg

DSCF4255.jpg

Final height on 155/55/14. Definitely a ratsun.

DSCF4250.jpg

• Like 4

This is mine right after i bought it, too low for me.  The tires rubbed like crazy and the header was damn low as well.

534772_439110619434933_883137434_n_zps33

Tire rub means the rims were wrong for the car. With proper offset/width rims/tires should and can clear. I have a problem with making the car fit the rims. Should always be the other way round.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...