Intro, new 510 Wagon owner

Ladeef

Hey folks, I've purchased my first 510, kinda on a whim actually.  I'm not sure what inspried me, perhaps it was my trip to Santa Cruz, CA recently where I saw a beautiful coupe.  You don't see too many around here in GA.  I've always been a lover of station wagons owning a BMW 525iT, Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, and Subaru Impreza currently.  I bought it as a little fun car for around town; having sold off my motorcycles I wanted something fun and obnoxious.  See the pic below, it has an l20 motor, 5speed, hicomp pistons, electronic ignition and new front suspension.  It's a bit of a rat, but lemme know what you think!

00N0N_hTPKhdbe09R_600x450.jpg

00000_4c5SAQksGwN_600x450.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the advice about the ignition coil, any options for a proper 12v one?  Also, the owner says he thinks the carbs are holding it back, not sure what that means but I think he might think it should be faster.  What kind of performance should I expect from this?  I don't care too much about straight line power but I'm sure I'll have to go through it and check things like ignition timing, carb settings, etc..

Drove it home about 50 miles, highway, some back roads, and in the rain.  Aside from the exhaust fumes coming up from the trans tunnel and the wipers going out, she runs great!  Plenty of power, was crusing at 70-75 on the highway at 3000rpm.  

I checked the coil and it does indeed say 12v on it so I guess I'm good to go.

The interior needs some work, mainly the trans tunnel hole,  I guess I'll do a search and see what others have done to clean that up.

don't matter what it says 12volts or not. Most will say ballast or needs a ballast in the instructions

If it gets hot then add a ballast if not HoT then don't worry about it.

Look like a Accell super stock coil.

http://shop.accel-ignition.com/ignition-electrical-and-wiring/ignition-coils/super-stock-coil-points.html

looks like your OK if you have a Matchbox Electronic ignition

70-75 at 3k Im callingl it OK.

its 1960s technology

don't matter what it says 12volts or not. Most will say ballast or needs a ballast in the instructions

If it gets hot then add a ballast if not HoT then don't worry about it.

Look like a Accell super stock coil.

http://shop.accel-ignition.com/ignition-electrical-and-wiring/ignition-coils/super-stock-coil-points.html

looks like your OK if you have a Matchbox Electronic ignition

70-75 at 3k Im callingl it OK.

its 1960s technology

Ahh good catch there.  Is there any specific test for seeing how "hot" it gets?  Just a touch test?

Also, it seemed happy to rev in between 2k and 4k rpms.  Is it worth revving it past 4k?  Whats the redline on this thing?

Thanks!

Probably zx transmission... Those have a taller over drive, thus lower rpms at higher speed. My 280z trans is turning about 3500 at 70-75

Thats a beautiful wagon you have there.

A few things I've noticed about the car thus far.

The windows rattle quite a bit over bumps,  I've read about window felt, might try to tackle this soon.

Also,the rubber seals around the rear hatch and most of the windows is rotted out.  Anyone know where I can get this stuff?

There is a small exhaust leak that I can smell in the cabin, looks like it's coming from the header connection to the down pipe.  My wife is starting to notice the smell on my clothes :).

One other question, would it be beneficial to go to a single carb setup? if so is the weber the best choice? I prefer the simplicity of one carb but don't want a huge performance loss.

Thanks!

Dibs on your carbs if you swap to a single weber.   I dont think there would be a power loss necessarily.  It likely depends on the chosen carb.  I want both.  Your cabs just look great on an L series, so I've always wanted a set for car shows.  Hit me up if you sell.  

I drive a weber 38DGAS.  I'ts great when you need power toward the North to the East of your speedometer.  But kinda not the best on the low end, as in tuning it to run great on the low end is finicky.  But once the air starts flowing, the weber 38-38 is mean.  

its a power oss but reliabilty will be improved. I would do a 38/38 as tr8er has.

as for the exhaust leak the intake manifold in the center section will blow out soemtimes and the gasket at the Y pipe flage. I never take the exhaust flange off myself when i pull motors I leave the exhaust manifold on the Y pipe and just pust to the side as Im scared the bolts willbreak.

what I do to trouble shoot is on a cold motor start it up and as the motor gets warm youll feel the hot exhaust gasges come out near the leak before the whole motor is Hot.

If you got skinny hand feel up and around the head where the exhaust manifold is and then around the Y pipe hook up.

Far as Im concern the SUs are mostly worn out .

My Mikunis are stinky also.

I route the air cleaner poer with a tube out under the car also if you dont have the stock emession set up, tubes and such