1978 620 vg30et

bigboy620

Hey there names Enrique. I have a 78 620 that I've had for almost half a year. Have done minor work to it. Has 3inch blocks,relaxed torsins,15x8 steelies. Also swapped the interior. Took out the nasty bench seat. Got some 76 Toyota celica gt seats and mirrors. E38 projector retrofit. Made a custom cup/cellphone holder table(vipstyle). Many more mods to come. I'll post pics in a bit

• Like 1
  • Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

good luck with that. I personally haven't seen a v8 in a truck or a dime that's been completed. but there is a guy in fremont that has an ls2 in his 69 510. haven't actually seen the motor but the car is always parked in front of his shop. has corvette calipers looks mean

• Like 1

why not just go with one of these

20140820_094758_zpsa7801807.jpg

more than enough power, drops rite in(no cutting or welding), ass loads of support info, and you can still find them dirt cheap if you look. i picked this up for $100 complete with ecu and harness. just looking for a tranny and radiator and it should be done in a weekend

• Like 2

If different is your goal, go for a 5cyl.  Or fuck it, Flinstone the fucker with open floorboards.  V8 in a 620 is not unique.  It's rare (ly finished), but you are not breaking new ground.  People warn against it because trucks end up dead after a failed attempted V8 swaps.  And these trucks are irreplaceable treasures in limited quantities.  

That said, this truck is your truck, so build it how you will.  There is a ton of destruction ahead, please turn out to be a killer fabricator/mechanic.  I'd love to watch a successful build.  

Hmmmm... remove heater and start cutting the firewall and tunnel out.

Get a disc brake kit from on here. 'Cuz you WILL need to stop that thing.

Did you keep the torsion bars, I can't see them. If they are gone you don't need that bolt in brace across under the pan.

The diff is 4.375 and many 2wd 720s have 3.889 or 3.70 even down to 3.545 and lower that you can just. bolt the pumpkin in.

Someone asking about putting a V8 in a 620 is kind of cliche around here. Doing it is another story. Good luck with this.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/41444-my-first-datsun/  (likely rusting in a field somewhere, though I hope not)

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/jake1963/vehicles/45171  (out of the realm of my budget.  yours?)

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads up. Its good to have some feedback Cuz more heads think better than one. When I get the trans I'm going to use I'm going to test fit too see if it needs to be cut beyond my preference. Cuz like u said these trucks are limited amount specially sorta clean body like mines. I won't give up on my lil ratsun.

• Like 1

You will have to cut the fire wall and set the engine back 6" or so in order to have a rad. This gets rid of the heater and thetunnle/floor probably needs widening for the auto or 4 speed anyway. You might look at front coil over shocks so you can get rid of the torsion bars and give you some room for the exhaust. Another problem is clearance with the one piece steering column/box in the way. The 350 weighs twice what's in it. Mid engine it.

No one will hold it against you if you change your mind and get something that fits.

• Like 1

Nice Truck wrong year for any swap. You live in CA good luck trying to get that to pass smog. If I were you I would sell that one and get a 75 or older then go to town with it. Trust me If you do the swap to that one it is going to be a pain in the ass when it comes time to smog or sell.

• Like 1

Put it this way... it's subject to smog checks in most areas including a visual check that all original smog equipment is there. Engine swap must be same year or newer and are subject to emission checks for that year of engine. Over all it's illegal (federal ofense) to tamper with or remove smog equipment... however the feds leave enforcement of this to the local states who probably have better things to do. Having said all this you might be in an area with minimal testing or have a way around the testing but sooner or later you'll get pulled over with an obvious V8 swap and may get sent for inspection. Then what to do????

• Like 1

The risk is the truck becomes useless to you and can't be sold to someone else except for parts. Don't start if you can't finish. Sell the truck to someone who wants a 620.  SBCs do not fit. Four and V sixes can fit and when you are done the truck can still be enjoyed by someone else,

• Like 2

I am not trying to discourage what you are trying to do. I do not know if you have the skills to do the swap or not. I am simply saying that these trucks are becoming more and more rare and yours looks like it is really good shape. I personally would not cut up such a nice truck. It is worth more the way she is then if you start cutting into it. If you want to do a swap like that find a old rat that some one has already cut into and nock yourself out. By the way I really like the way your truck looks right now. Respect it for what it is an OG Datsun.

• Like 1