bigboy620

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That downpipe looks awful close to the frame or steering box (I can't tell from the pic). I hope you allowed room for heat expansion and engine movement. I would have 1/2 inch minimum.

Looks good.

It's just over 1/2 inch away from the frame and 2 or 3 inches from the steering. It's tight the engine shouldn't move. It's on solid mounts. Thanks

• Like 1

Love it! I just got a 79 620 KC and have a 87 Hardbody with a v6 auto combo that I am thinking about swapping.

thank you. I think what Mike is saying would probably be easier. Since the steering components on the 620 will interfere with the swap,along with other things. If you're up for the challenges. Good luck with it.
  • Like 1

It's just over 1/2 inch away from the frame and 2 or 3 inches from the steering. It's tight the engine shouldn't move. It's on solid mounts. Thanks

Solid mounts? Ooooh, man. Ever driven a car or truck with solid mounts before?

I'm going to heat wrap everything. Think it would help? What about getting some fresh air flow, to help cool it.

Yes the heat wrap will help, but it eats away at the metal. The superheating of the metal causes it to crystallize and flake off.

• Like 1

Will need to make sure the trans mount is soft otherwise it will crack the trans housing too.

May be ceramic coating for the exhausts would be the best bet? Going to be a lot of heat under the bonnet with that piping arrangement.

• Like 1

Will need to make sure the trans mount is soft otherwise it will crack the trans housing too.

May be ceramic coating for the exhausts would be the best bet? Going to be a lot of heat under the bonnet with that piping arrangement.

The transmission mount is the 620 rubber mount with 620 crossmember.

If it gets too hot, I'll just make the exhaust go out the hood or fender.

• Like 1

Yes the heat wrap will help, but it eats away at the metal. The superheating of the metal causes it to crystallize and flake off.

Haven't driven a car with solid mounts. The tubing should last a while. Thank you
  • Like 1

The heat shield was a good idea. For further insulating, I use a stick on foil covered woven fabric that reflects and further insulates. There are only a couple on the market that are for use outside the interior, where they will be exposed to the elements. I can dig up the info if you like.

• Like 4