#81 bigboy620

bigboy620

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Cars:1978 Datsun 620 & 1998 Bmw 740iL

Posted 21 November 2017 - 09:17 PM

Flipped the center link with the teraflex inserts. Oil pan clearance with steering wheel at full lock. Got my self a vg30et crank pulley for better clearance up front.

crl98gb3.jpg

rqw4otqt.jpg

6qzytxfb.jpg

rxxaehdg.jpg

#82 carterb

carterb

WAGON GUY

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,739 posts
  • Cars:510's

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:36 PM

Great looking truck!!

Nice choice on the VG30. 

I have the same plan with my '78.

I'll be watching your progress.

--carter

#83 Lockleaf

Lockleaf

Hall Monitor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts
  • Cars:'71 510 Goon, '90 240SX, '85 720, '69 Roadster, '96 Pathfinder, too much other shite

Posted Yesterday, 12:31 AM

The single thing i hate most about VG motors is the tangle of cooling hoses at the back of the motor. Theres a spaghetti bowl of rubber and metal back there that is a joke. I always swore if i used a vg as a toy in anything, i would redo that in some different, less pain in my ass fashion.

Morale of the story, take a look at those and see if you want to replace all with new, redesign them, or maybe cap some of not needed for you.

Half Pint ('71 510 Goon) http://community.rat...agon/p?=1269361

Audrey ('69 Roadster 1600) http://community.rat...rey-the-ratster

Tiny Havok ('85 720 DIY built Crewcab 4x4) http://community.rat...ache/?p=1395455

720 Shenanigans http://community.rat...20-shenanigans/

#84 bigboy620

bigboy620

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:18 AM

Great looking truck!!
Nice choice on the VG30.
I have the same plan with my '78.
I'll be watching your progress.
--carter

Thank you sir. Slow but steady progress

#85 bigboy620

bigboy620

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:20 AM

The single thing i hate most about VG motors is the tangle of cooling hoses at the back of the motor. Theres a spaghetti bowl of rubber and metal back there that is a joke. I always swore if i used a vg as a toy in anything, i would redo that in some different, less pain in my ass fashion.

Morale of the story, take a look at those and see if you want to replace all with new, redesign them, or maybe cap some of not needed for you.

might use them if I decide to go turbo. For the turbo coolant supply. If not I'm just gonna route them to each other in a loop.

#86 Str8jacket

Str8jacket

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cars:Inter D1310. 1979 620 ute.

Posted Yesterday, 06:31 PM

Nice work, i would not be concerned about speed of progress! You are going way faster than me, i have had the engine in and out atleast 20 times now making the headers and changes in engine mounts trans mounts. Cut the inlet manifold up twice! Your flying along. You are giving me motivation to get my arse into gear!

#87 bigboy620

bigboy620

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:49 PM

Yea it takes much thinking, have to consider where everything goes. Cant over look anything or else you'll go backwards. That's awesome! If we run into problems we can see each others ideas on how to solve them.

#88 Str8jacket

Str8jacket

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cars:Inter D1310. 1979 620 ute.

Posted Yesterday, 11:36 PM

I will need to sort the photo hosting as i did have a photo bucket set up at one stage but haven't used any in a good while

#89 ]2eDeYe

]2eDeYe

Bastard!

• User Administrator
  • 17,712 posts
  • Cars:78 620 KC, 77 620 KC, 72 CJ5, 04 G35 coupe mmmm

Posted Today, 08:40 AM

That motor looks great in there. 

You might look into getting an earlier 620 brake booster to gain some room to pull the valve covers. 

Gday, first post but a bit of info.
The alt bracket on a pathfinder can be cut up and swapped to the otherside the holes line up and the pulleys are in line. Need to hack a heap off it and just keep 3 holes. Fab bracket to suit. Or find an Aussie who can send you one of an r50 as it will fit straight up. Will need to sort adjuster for the belt.
An r50 pathfinder starter motor fits without touching the torsion bars. Adjust engine hieght to clear the frame where engine mounts sit.
Flip the centre steer link and reem the tapers out to suit a larger tie rod from the under side. I used some off a toyota power steer rack. Be careful on selecting those as some are a 15mm thread which i had to thread on a lathe for the rod link bar. You may have more options over there.
The vg33e out of an r50 pathy fits nicely. You can bolt the 5 speed gearbox off d22 navara straight up to get rid of the auto, use the tailshaft as well and get it shortened to suit a bit of fab work and it lines up pretty good.. Indecently the front spindles off the d22 drop straight in and you get upgraded brake disc size and twin piston calipers. I did need to use the steer link off a 720 spindle to get the tie rod tapers to match though. That requires a 5mmish spacer machined up to get the link to fit the spindle. Basically a big washer. but other than that it fits easy.
If you use the 5 speed mentioned you can fit a decent set of headers in if you are patient and a bit sadistic!
I am assuming the vg30 would be pretty much the same as they appear to be a bit like lego these nissans.
Cheers have fun.

Great tech man! :thumbup: 

Smokin' Joe's House of Datto's

gJv38AY.jpg
Member- *Japanese Trucking Association*

**DATSUN FAQ** ~ If ya know it, post it ~ If ya don't know it, learn it ~

ratsun.net rising sun stickers                     ratsun business cards order thread

620 KA24 Motor Mount Swap Brackets

1977 620 KingCab Deluxe KA24DE Swap - Refresh and cleanup
1978 620 kingcab 4x4 - KA24E SAS w/Dana 44 front and Toyota rear

1967 RL411 Station Wagon

Whenever I think that I'm out of my mind for putting this much time and money into an old Datsun, all I have to do is look some of your threads to know that I'm not nearly as whack as you are.

You're going to skin a few knuckles, stand up too fast and bump your head, hunt around the floor for the nuts and bolts you dropped, invent a few new cuss words and when you're finished you'll say "That wasn't so hard after all!"