Crossmember flip? Rack and Pinion? HELP!!! :(

Hey guys,

I'm ready to put a KA24DE in my 510, however, I made an interesting discovery when I crawled under my Chevy-350 equipped 510 and saw a rack and pinion. It looks like from the factory, these cars had steering boxes. I, apparently, have a rack and pinion from what resembles a 240Z? The guys I bought it from said that when he bought it, they mentioned how the crossmember was flipped and the wheels set forward in the wheel well further. Not sure what to make of that, but it doesn't look flipped to me.

How should I proceed at this point? Like I said, a KA24DE will be going in the car along with the transmission for that motor.

trrYHmD.jpg

CuEcnsf.jpg

VliyUNr.jpg

BhlDqM5.jpg

MkA8cl2.jpg

RgaSRy8.jpg

fqpOtSt.jpg

22gVjQC.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That isn't a 510 crossmember at all. Maybe a 200sx or similar. 510 lower control arms are in single sheer, not double like the xmember you have. If it works I would keep it.

Wonder if I'll have clearance issues with a front sump KA24 oil pan, then? This one doesn't appear to be "bowed" like the stock one.

R&P can't be from any Z car. they are mounted behind the front wheels. If moved in front, a left turn would turn the car to the right.

Here is an S110 cross member...

00140010Large.jpg

Oh boy. It's true about chevy owners. There is a reasonfor stereotypes...

MkA8cl2.jpg

R&P can't be from any Z car. they are mounted behind the front wheels. If moved in front, a left turn would turn the car to the right.

Here is an S110 cross member...

00140010Large.jpg

Oh boy. It's true about chevy owners. There is a reasonfor stereotypes...

MkA8cl2.jpg

So you don't think this is a 240Z rack and pinion? Looks a HELL of a lot like the one of my 240Z, I could be wrong, though.

How should I approach this? If the pan simply won't clear, just make a rear sump pan?

So you don't think this is a 240Z rack and pinion? Looks a HELL of a lot like the one of my 240Z, I could be wrong, though.

You tell me. Is the 240z R&P behind the front wheels? If so placing it ahead of the wheels like the picture above will reverse the turning input.

The wheel does not turn the wrong way.

Back to the question at hand! Is this as simple as modifying the stock pan for rear sump?

Also, I'm curious as to how the motor will mount to this crossmember. Any input on this?

Can anyone confirm or deny whether or not this is a 240Z crossmember? Looks extremely similar if it isn't.

Looks like it may be.  510 is normally rear steer, 240z is front steer.  The problem is that your 510 has tension rods and the 240z has compression rods, so your 510 tension rods get in the way of the steering tie rods, which is why the retard who did the install on your car spaced the tension rod up off the ball joint/control arm with...nuts?  Also it looks like he cut/moved/changed the tension rod gussets (maybe the rods too?), which look like they could tear off.  Looks like a lot of work that should be redone...

Ah, I can see now what you mean.

At this point, it's sounding to me like I need to track down a complete front 510 suspension and reverse everything this clown did to the car. Ugh.

Any other suggestions? I knew when I saw the 350 that someone didn't know what they were doing...cripes.

You have two options

1. Find a whole 510 front suspension and flip the cross member and buy a front sump sway bar. Hope that you can still bolt it in.

2. Make a custom rear sump oil pan for the ka the clears everything that you already have.

You can get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Aluminum-Cross-member-Datsun/dp/B00EJ378AE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1409007196&sr=8-3&keywords=510+crossmember

but then will have to fab R&P mounts to it.

I'm running an MR2 R&P that is rear steer like should be on a 510.  My crossmember clears the pan and the R&P clears the dip to the transmission, but it is pretty close. 

Also for flipped wheels maybe the previous owner ment was they flipped the spindles.. left on right and right on left, to make whatever that steering rack is work.