8/24 whidbey island fun run

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should be able to join up when you get off the ferry. (I gotta move the car to our place on Whidbey as it's in Seattle, currently.)

I've had my 120Y on the ferry several times. Each time it's been a hassle with the booth attendant about the "less than 14 foot" measurement. They have lines drawn that your car needs to fit inside and if the booth attendant even bothers to get out of the booth to look, it's obvious. Usually, they just peek out and say no, and if you miss a line they say no. Then I've had to insist and they come out with a rolling measure device, which doesn't feel good for anyone (not even me, who got my way). Last time, the booth attendant told me there's a sticker I can get for my window that a supervisor gives me after properly measuring the car. Oh, and the one time I held up the service manual to the page that states the length (155"), she wouldn't even look at it. All the while, people behind you are getting pretty pissed off and afraid they'll miss the ferry. Anyway ... maybe this time it will be different!

• Like 3

Never a good time trying to keep money in your pocket and not the states. Even if you're in the right

I should be able to join up when you get off the ferry. (I gotta move the car to our place on Whidbey as it's in Seattle, currently.)

I've had my 120Y on the ferry several times. Each time it's been a hassle with the booth attendant about the "less than 14 foot" measurement. They have lines drawn that your car needs to fit inside and if the booth attendant even bothers to get out of the booth to look, it's obvious. Usually, they just peek out and say no, and if you miss a line they say no. Then I've had to insist and they come out with a rolling measure device, which doesn't feel good for anyone (not even me, who got my way). Last time, the booth attendant told me there's a sticker I can get for my window that a supervisor gives me after properly measuring the car. Oh, and the one time I held up the service manual to the page that states the length (155"), she wouldn't even look at it. All the while, people behind you are getting pretty pissed off and afraid they'll miss the ferry. Anyway ... maybe this time it will be different!

• Like 1

PM'd with Dr. Feltersnatch and here's the plan for once the ferry docks in Clinton: Hwy 525 becomes a two-lane highway, so for us to caravan together, we'll need to regroup as y'all will likely be split up when boarding the ferry. About two miles after you pull out of the ferry terminal is a strip mall on the right called Ken's Korner. You'll see a Les Schwab on the corner and a Red Apple toward the back. I'll be there waiting in the Les Schwab parking lot. I believe they're closed on Sunday. Once the ferry traffic has passed us by, we can get back onto 525 in a line for the bang-a-lang. If y'all want me to map out a couple cool stops on the way to Deception Pass, let me know. Otherwise, we'd basically drive straight through to Oak Harbor until we reach Deception Pass (about 45 miles), then stop.

• Like 1

PM'd with Dr. Feltersnatch and here's the plan for once the ferry docks in Clinton: Hwy 525 becomes a two-lane highway, so for us to caravan together, we'll need to regroup as y'all will likely be split up when boarding the ferry. About two miles after you pull out of the ferry terminal is a strip mall on the right called Ken's Korner. You'll see a Les Schwab on the corner and a Red Apple toward the back. I'll be there waiting in the Les Schwab parking lot. I believe they're closed on Sunday. Once the ferry traffic has passed us by, we can get back onto 525 in a line for the bang-a-lang. If y'all want me to map out a couple cool stops on the way to Deception Pass, let me know. Otherwise, we'd basically drive straight through to Oak Harbor until we reach Deception Pass (about 45 miles), then stop.

i was planning to stop at ft. casey as well but if you know any other cool spots that would be good too.

And just realized I'm going to have to wake up early on my one day off

You're catching an 11 AM ferry and driving there from Marysville ... how early will you have to wake up to do that? Are you a pole dancer in the evenings or something?

As someone that lived on Orcas Island for 5 years and even had a job working at the ferry ticket office there, I say fuck 'em all, both the workers and the other riders.  If the State of WA didn't make it such a bumblefuck to get on the ferries it wouldn't be an issue.  And, I'm sorry if I offend a pro-union person, but this is a case where the union makes for lazy employees that seem to think that their job duties are defined by what they feel like doing that day, not what the job description says.  The anger of other riders is misplaced in blaming you, plus it's not your fault they didn't plan ahead and show up with plenty of time to make the next ferry.

*Stepping down off the off topic soapbox now*

Seeing as I live in the last 2/3's of the proposed route, any chance of a planned stop in the Burlington/Mt. Vernon area?  If not I totally understand, as I am admittedly kinda flakey on showing up for meets.

Seeing as I live in the last 2/3's of the proposed route, any chance of a planned stop in the Burlington/Mt. Vernon area?  If not I totally understand, as I am admittedly kinda flakey on showing up for meets.

"OH MY GOD, A SMALL CAR, MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED." 

Anyway, maybe join at the ferry then bail back at home. You'd still be doing the full circuit, but the first leg is you, alone, on I-5.

You're catching an 11 AM ferry and driving there from Marysville ... how early will you have to wake up to do that? Are you a pole dancer in the evenings or something?

well if you want me clean and dressed i should probably get up at 930 or so. my daughter and nanny aren't going to be home starting tomorrow so i'll probably be sleeping until about noon for friday anf saturday. i work swing shift and get off at 11pm, 1am or 3am depending on how long of a shift i work the night prior. 

• Like 1