Ka24e problems please help.

DatsunSwag22

So I had a 1990 KA24e in before n after 6 months it started knocking so I got another ka24e put my alternator starter distributor and my same coil. But now that I have the new motor in I have no spark. So I got another Distributor and still no spark. I took a Ground n tapped the other side of coil n it sparked so now I have no clue what it could be.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have new spark plug wires? from the coil to the dizzy? Check it for continuity. Is the Dizzy grounded?

When you say you tapped the coil and it sparked how did you preform the test? Engine cranking with a nearby ground wire next to the coil?

Check the spark gap and make sure your coils not weak. Test all wires to the coil for ground and power (key on) If not at the ecm i believe pins 1,3 and 6 are to the coil pack check for continuity in the wires to the coil.

Does your coil have a power transistor on it? take off the connector. check for continuity

If the coils not getting power while cranking sounds like a crank sensor. The ecm wont let the power transistor power the coil

to start the engine. Please reply with more details so I can assist you better.

What did the 1990 ka come out of?

• Like 1

ALL New Spark Plug wires. Dizzy is Grounded. 

i have 2 coils 1 new n 1 was on the older motor. i ground and power. but power is staying at 10.5 .

i have 2 Crank Sensors. 1 new n 1 from older motor. 

240sx 

Do you have new spark plug wires? from the coil to the dizzy? Check it for continuity. Is the Dizzy grounded?

When you say you tapped the coil and it sparked how did you preform the test? Engine cranking with a nearby ground wire next to the coil?

Check the spark gap and make sure your coils not weak. Test all wires to the coil for ground and power (key on) If not at the ecm i believe pins 1,3 and 6 are to the coil pack check for continuity in the wires to the coil.

Does your coil have a power transistor on it? take off the connector. check for continuity

If the coils not getting power while cranking sounds like a crank sensor. The ecm wont let the power transistor power the coil

to start the engine. Please reply with more details so I can assist you better.

What did the 1990 ka come out of?

Have you tested if you're getting a spark at any of the plugs? If not, and as you say the coil is sparking, the problem is between the coil and the plugs. Could be the rotor, the cap, the wires, etc.

If the plugs are sparking, check your timing. Maybe the distributor is 180 deg out.

when i pull the wire from the coil going to the dizzy can't get a spark. how do u check the timing to know if its in right or not? 

1 time i did get a spark when i changed the fuses n it worked for like 2 mins and after i turned key off it never worked again. 

i don't know whats going on. 

i had a knock in my old motor n so all i did was unplugged the wires. n pulled motor n put the other motor in and wired it up n can't get a spark. 

its the same Dizzy same coil same ecu same alt same starter. n i had no problems wit my car starting n now i can't get it to work. I'm lost. 

I've changed the dizzy, coil, crank sensor. 

Have you tested if you're getting a spark at any of the plugs? If not, and as you say the coil is sparking, the problem is between the coil and the plugs. Could be the rotor, the cap, the wires, etc.

If the plugs are sparking, check your timing. Maybe the distributor is 180 deg out.

regardless of the dizzys position you should still get spark from the coil. Sorry I havent been on to answer swiftly I work long shifts and a lot of overtime. So do you have a meter you can test with? If not get a cheap ass throw away from harbor freight....$3ish. Btw did you reground the whole engine? Just I thought I seen some weird stuff happen with bad grounds lol. Anyways if your not getting spark at just the coil alone. Something else is going wrong here. Which means forget about the dizzy because the problem has to exist further down the line.

Have you checked the power transistor yet? Theres not much to the system. Did you remove the battery before swapping your engine? You didn't fry anything by mistake did you? Because if all the wires and everythings good I'd be worried about the module. Take your time to diagnose everything properly. Meter and track through the system go from the dizzy all the way back. If something wasnt grounded correctly trying to start the vehicle could cause back feeding through the components and damage them. Check for continuity in all wires. Be sure there is no shorts. I dont think any components are damaged it seems to be a wiring issue. Dont replace anything else until you can be 100% certain it is the problem. Heres a diagram to help you with tracking through the system a bit.

1990 240sx Wiring Diagram.

1990240sxWiring_zps8f514165.png