Dirty smog California

JDMClassic

Quick question, for all you 1975 and above datsun owners out there in California. How did you pass smog? Besides putting back all OEM components. Did you guys get "Hookup"? Can I slide a Benjamin to the worker at the shop? How much do you think will it cost me to get this truck Califorina street "Legal"?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question, for all you 1975 and above datsun owners out there in California. How did you pass smog? Besides putting back all OEM components. Did you guys get "Hookup"? Can I slide a Benjamin to the worker at the shop? How much do you think will it cost me to get this truck Califorina street "Legal"?

Though this might happen, it's illegal and a big problem in you are caught in a sting.

B53BCA1B-74A3-4B66-815F-182FE73F1C0C.jpg

I see the wrong carb on the wrong intake manifold so also the missing stock air filter,  fuel shut off vacuum switch, EGR valve and BPT valve.

Wrong exhaust manifold.

Missing air pump and all the hoses for it, anti backfire valve, air filter for pump, charcoal canister and hoses, CAC valve, thermal vacuum valve,

Wrong distributor... where's the vacuum advance?.

Can't see if the catalytic converter is still there or the PDV valve.

You paid $5,000 for this without checking? Move out of state, register and try there.

• Like 1

Though this might happen, it's illegal and a big problem in you are caught in a sting.

I see the wrong carb on the wrong intake manifold so also the missing stock air filter, fuel shut off vacuum switch, EGR valve and BPT valve.

Wrong exhaust manifold.

Missing air pump and all the hoses for it, anti backfire valve, air filter for pump, charcoal canister and hoses, CAC valve, thermal vacuum valve,

You paid $5,000 for this without checking? Move out of state, register and try there.

Sorry that pic was when we were doing some maintenance. But here is wat it used to look like before we started tunning it up

2DC0B670-C781-45C4-ADEF-225E70C4FAC3.jpg

I see the wrong carb on the wrong intake manifold so also the missing stock air filter, fuel shut off vacuum switch, EGR valve and BPT valve.

Wrong exhaust manifold.

And I didn't pay 5k for it, not yet at least. The original owner didn't want to sell it to me unless we get it up and running.

well i hope you get her up and running.  i'm developing a serious soft spot for these non exempt vehicles.  do you have a manual and can you get all the smog components for her?  have you done a compression test?  also, i believe there are counties in ca that do not smog so you don't have to register out of state!  good luck.

well i hope you get her up and running. i'm developing a serious soft spot for these non exempt vehicles. do you have a manual and can you get all the smog components for her? have you done a compression test? also, i believe there are counties in ca that do not smog so you don't have to register out of state! good luck.

Wrong. Everywhere in ca has smog requirements. This includes visual and emmisions. Some are a little more slack on emmisions testing as laws slightly vary county to county, but all EVERY county in ca has smog. Carb means California Air Research Bureau.

Look at the link I gave you, it has a microphiche of all our Datsuns, and you can look up what you need. If you want an OEM Hitachi, PM me, I have one that needs a rebuild, but is pretty complete. It'll come with the air filter and most of the mounting hardware.

I used to work at a smog shop as a rep about 10-12 years back. Laws haven't changed much, so I'm pretty well versed in ca smog laws.

Wrong. Everywhere in ca has smog requirements. This includes visual and emmisions. Some are a little more slack on emmisions testing as laws slightly vary county to county, but all EVERY county in ca has smog. Carb means California Air Research Bureau.

Look at the link I gave you, it has a microphiche of all our Datsuns, and you can look up what you need. If you want an OEM Hitachi, PM me, I have one that needs a rebuild, but is pretty complete. It'll come with the air filter and most of the mounting hardware.

I used to work at a smog shop as a rep about 10-12 years back. Laws haven't changed much, so I'm pretty well versed in ca smog laws.

Its not counties that dont require a smog check,its certain zip codes ,usually rural and away from the city.I have a friend that lives in Julian,hes never smogged a vehicle.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResources/02_SmogCheck/Program_Areas.html

Look at the PDF map. Everywhere has smog requirements. Minimum requirement it to just smog it when there's a change of ownership which is what will need to be done minimum when buying a truck like this. The change of ownership areas are pretty rural, and in ca, you have to provide proof of residence before you can register in said area.

Trust me, I looked into it when I had my 86 and looking for ways around the engine swap rules.

Dude dont waste your time putting all that smog crap on just get some one to get passed for you.Shit as long as Datsunmike does not turn you in your fine.lol

You gotta know the rep. They're becoming skittish in my area cause the po's have been doing stings on reps. 2 of them have lost their smog license last year because of this. Sad really.

Why I bought a 72. Fuck smog

You gotta know the rep. They're becoming skittish in my area cause the po's have been doing stings on reps. 2 of them have lost their smog license last year because of this. Sad really.

Why I bought a 72. Fuck smog

I got a guy that knows a guy you might say. I know what your saying and lord knows its true but it can be done, and if you cant smog it  i think now dont quote me but there is a way around it.I think if you can show you spent X amount of dollars to try to pass ir, but then i dont know if hits a state referee, and then there is another problem.

I got a guy that knows a guy you might say. I know what your saying and lord knows its true but it can be done, and if you cant smog it  i think now dont quote me but there is a way around it.I think if you can show you spent X amount of dollars to try to pass ir, but then i dont know if hits a state referee, and then there is another problem.

It was $700 min you had to spend trying to pass smog, and you could get out of it for a year. They were doing something to try and stop this, not sure if it ever went through.

• Like 1

Dude dont waste your time putting all that smog crap on just get some one to get passed for you.Shit as long as Datsunmike does not turn you in your fine.lol

I could care less about pollution or the pollution laws. What I do care about is just ripping shit off for no reason other than it 'looks better' but really because secretly they think it runs better and their monkeying around fucks it up worse. 

It's a federal offense to remove or modify existing smog equipment on ANY year car. The feds leave it to the individual states to enforce this, but let's be honest they don't really care to because of the waste of time or money. But a pissed off cop could if he wanted to, keep in mind, just unlikely.

Some states like California are more strict and also have smog testing, actual and visual.  So stripping 'smog shit' off is the same as scrapping the vehicle come around testing time or if sold. Crying shame so many Datsuns are scrapped because some dick head removed or altered the smog equipment and the new owner didn't check, can't find replacements, couldn't afford replacements or simply couldn't sell it. What's left... scrap it.

This is why I caution everyone about altering their smog equipment. Easier and cheaper to keep it in good running order than offering a bribe or trying to find and put it back.. only to fail..

So we all have opinions and i am not saying your wrong you are 100% right but how many Datsuns on this forum have there Pollution parts on? Not many if any.There is a way around everything and I mean everything. If he wants that truck bad enough he will get it done some how, or not buy it and let the owner now deal with it. Carry on old chaps.

No you are 100% right Mike. It's sad but true. Anytime I make an 'illegal' smog change, I make sure I can easily swap it out every 2 years. I live in Santa Barbara county, which some how has more strict laws than Los Angeles. I've learned the tricks to get around the games.

So we all have opinions and i am not saying your wrong you are 100% right but how many Datsuns on this forum have there Pollution parts on? Not many if any.

You tell me, probably most. In most states this risk is minimal I agree

There is a way around everything and I mean everything. If he wants that truck bad enough he will get it done some how, or not buy it and let the owner now deal with it. Carry on old chaps.

What if the a new or old owner can't?? This places the truck in dire jeopardy of being scrapped or stripped for parts. Or circumventing the laws. This is all so easy to prevent in the first place.

Crying shame so many Datsuns are scrapped because some dick head removed or altered the smog equipment and the new owner didn't check, can't find replacements, couldn't afford replacements or simply couldn't sell it. What's left... scrap it.

This is why I caution everyone about altering their smog equipment. Easier and cheaper to keep it in good running order than offering a bribe or trying to find and put it back.. only to fail..