I have the buyer's remorse..... 620.

Triz0000

Hello Ratsun 620 people ,

Im saying hello and adding my self to the 620 crew..... unfortunately i have the buyers remorse!!

ill have HEAPS of questions for you guys AND YES I HAVE ALWAYS TRIED THE SEARCH FUNCTION FIRST , because i know from reading many previous posts how upset people get when newbz don't try search there question first.

In saying that i have found the search to not be as useful for the 620's as say compared to a datsun 510's search maybe because the 620's are dwindling in numbers and less people are working on them ? I'm in Australia and there isn't many 620's here anymore.!!! 

ALSO i have tried downloading pdf's from http://www.olddatsuns.com
and everytime the link takes me to a error404 page ???  if anyone could let me know where to download the 620 service manual's , wiring diagrams etc it would be much appreciated.

Here we go....

i have purchased a 1979 datsun 620 running a l20b and have a few nightmares to deal with....

IMG_1694_zps3857e8c3.jpg

The first nightmare is the body...

From what i can tell , companies are not making aftermarket panels for these pickups/utes any more and no other panels from other Datsun's are interchangeable.

I was lucky enough to find two new front guards here and the guy said that he couldn't get anymore or a bonnet.

in Australia we have mainly ugly ass tray backs such as the photo above so i have had to get a tub tray shipped to me from another state....

IMG_1737_zpsa4f6495d.jpg

bonnet strip thingy 

the chrome steel strip that runs along the front of the bonnet and completes the front grille--

searched for weeks on the internet NO IDEA where to get theses or have them made??

IMG_1682_zpsd35b2250.png

IMG_1679_zps4a6d43ce.pngthe tub..

i purchased a 5 hook long bed tub and its currently on its way to me from another state , i hope to god it fits my chassis , i measured the wheel base and its about 2800mm (about 109.6in?) won't know till it gets here. I'm hoping its ok from what i read here http://community.ratsun.net/topic/59475-shortbed-vs-longbed/

interior ,dash,wires and hazard switch

IMG_1696_zpsf0ad0a2e.jpg

here is the state of the interior missing lots of things like ash tray original mirror roof handle things the list goes on

IMG_1743_zpsdd2ed638.jpg

and here is the state of the dash ..... unfortunately mine is a right hand drive so i can't buy the cool fibreglass ones advertised on ratsun  :blush: , 

wires...... :no:

IMG_1742_zps123fa254.jpg

"hey dude i got a sweet idea , lets rewire the whole loom of the 620 with only red wires"

"dude your blowing my mind right now" :hyper:

-this is why i need wiring diagrams badly if i can't find them online i will be buying a haynes manual- if it has them in it.

hazards switch

IMG_1744_zps0aa5a77b.jpg

does any one have a reference photo of what this switch even looks like.??

as this is my first ever post ill leave it there and just round up my questions so maybe some one can help and just so everyone knows I'm am more than happy to help anyone on the ratsun forums with anything regarding the 620 pickup if needed.

questions

1. Are there any aftermarket panel manufactures still in business world wide that we can get panels from?

2. are there any panels or interior parts that are interchangeable between different Datsun models and the 620 (bonnet ,guards,interior ext) 

3. any idea where to get the bonnet steel strip (mould?) thingy from or made?

4. can anyone show me or email me the pdf's that used to be on old datsun.com?

5.you guys think this tub is going to fit my chassis (2800mm wheel base roughly) ?

​6. any ideas on sorting this rhd dash out replacing it ??

7.wireing diagrams would be awesome !!!

and any other information would be great 

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANYONE WHO BOTHERED TO READ THIS !!

• Like 1
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry, I can't help, but all that red wiring is hilarious  :rofl:  That's one way to prevent hot wiring...

all good dude , don't have to worry about people stealing the car.......

the colour makes people walking by it  cross the street in disgust. :sleep:

• Like 1

Welcome to Ratsun fellow aussie! :)
Best bet would be to keep searching ebay for parts or try "Datsun Classifieds Australia" facebook page.
I think there is a mob up in QLD that makes aftermarket panels?
The tub you purchased should fit all tho the fuel tank may be difference i believe?

• Like 1

Even if there are fewer 620s today, which I don't think is true,  the search function goes through all archived material in the forum back at least 7 1/2 years. There's lots. Sometimes you have to get creative when using the search and words like tub instead of bed can fool it.

The Haynes Repair Manual you want is Datsun pick-up 620 series 28022 (277) US It has all years of wire diagrams.

Or better yet the actual Nissan factory service manual (FSM) for your year truck.

• Like 1

i want righthand drive!! find me a dash, steering box. pedal setup etc and I'll find you your body panels and stuff. shipping slow boat "shouldn't be too expensive" (<<< last words)

FOB Long Beach, California, USA

ALSO, i got my 1973 factory service manual on Ebay for under $30, i saw a few on Amazon as well.

Welcome to Ratsun fellow aussie! :)

Best bet would be to keep searching ebay for parts or try "Datsun Classifieds Australia" facebook page.

I think there is a mob up in QLD that makes aftermarket panels?

The tub you purchased should fit all tho the fuel tank may be difference i believe?

thanks for the info , the tank thing might be a bitch eh? ill have to post my struggles with pics incase anyone else has to go through it one day.

i want righthand drive!! find me a dash, steering box. pedal setup etc and I'll find you your body panels and stuff. shipping slow boat "shouldn't be too expensive" (<<< last words)

FOB Long Beach, California, USA

ALSO, i got my 1973 factory service manual on Ebay for under $30, i saw a few on Amazon as well.

im having a look at a few ex farm vehicles that have half decent parts on them , slow boat ? really? if you do the research on pricing and pm me ill keep you updated on the parts i have , I'm happy to freight stuff if its not going to cost to much for you. 

• 4 weeks later...

ah, none of that is any reason to have buyers remorse. shoots, a lot of guys would say you scored big time on that truck.

my dash is shit too, body work  not so great, and most of these trucks have a lot of jimmy rigged wiring.

i got an fsm and ill try to post pics of the electrical drawings when i get a chance.

• 4 months later...

ok guys need some help (yes i have searched for answers)

this is my shitty hitachi carb missing electric choke mechanism and various other bits and pieces

IMG_2071_zpsb4966873-1.jpg

------i want to put a 32/36 weber on (manual choke)

that is not my problem yet , my problem is the exhaust manifold i have has pollution gear on it

-let me back up a bit 

.its an L20B with w58 head

.i think its a round port style exhaust outlet on the head (haven't checked)

.the exhaust manifold looks like a square port from pics I've seen on ratsun with that stupid pollution pipe which was crimped and rattling which i now have cut off and plugged with a bolt  but not sure its a square head 

.it has no airpump inlet things on it

.the intake and exhaust look bolted together

there is water routed through the intake and around the back of the exhaust

IMG_2070_zps75ada2a7.jpg

IMG_2068_zps7ff8bf0d.jpg

60c46ad7-5bb2-4036-b14c-1d570997b5c5_zps

my questions are 

-WHAT EXHAUST MANI IS THIS?

-WHAT HAPPENS TO THE WATER LINE GOING IN TO THE INTAKE (THE GREEN HOSE) IF I BLOCK THAT CAST STEEL PART OF THE INTAKE WITH A PLATE AS I WANT TO REMOVE AS MUCH POLLUTION CRAP AS POSSIBLE

-WHAT GASKETS DO I NEED ( I THINK I READ HERE THAT THEY ARE GENERIC ACROSS THE L SERIES LINE

• Like 1

, my problem is the exhaust manifold i have has pollution gear on it

-let me back up a bit 

.its an L20B with w58 head

.i think its a round port style exhaust outlet on the head (haven't checked) .the exhaust manifold looks like a square port from pics I've seen on ratsun with that stupid pollution pipe which was crimped and rattling which i now have cut off and plugged with a bolt  but not sure its a square head

.it has no airpump inlet things on it

.the intake and exhaust look bolted together

W58 head has round exhaust ports. Can't tell from the picture but if you have two pipes going down on the exhaust manifold it's likely an L16 or L18 manifold.

standardand4intotwoexhaust002.jpg

If a single round down pipe then it from an earlier '75-'77 L20B with a U67 head. These intakes and exhausts were bolter together and look like this...

L20Bexinstovepipesetup003Large.jpg

Plugging the EGR tube with a suitable bolt is just fine. The other end that goes to the intake should also be sealed, just in case.

there is water routed through the intake and around the back of the exhaust

This is possible if this is still the W58 head intake. The outlet from the intake is down in front of the carb base to the left.

intake.jpg

my questions are 

-WHAT EXHAUST MANI IS THIS?

I posted exhaust manifold pictures so you tell me what you have.

-WHAT HAPPENS TO THE WATER LINE GOING IN TO THE INTAKE (THE GREEN HOSE) IF I BLOCK THAT CAST STEEL PART OF THE INTAKE WITH A PLATE AS I WANT TO REMOVE AS MUCH POLLUTION CRAP AS POSSIBLE

Not seeing any green hose to the intake. Why remove 'pollution crap'? It's not working now and easier to just disable it. Seen lots of home make junk covering the EGR and guess what? They cause vacuum leaks and way worse it removes the PCV valve fitting. (large clear hose near the short red one) You do NOT want to remove it.

-WHAT GASKETS DO I NEED ( I THINK I READ HERE THAT THEY ARE GENERIC ACROSS THE L SERIES LINE

What, what gaskets? exhaust? intake? ERG?, carb base?

• Like 1

Yes the W58 head is round port exhaust  the exhaust manifold you might have a square port manifold from like mike said a L16 or L18 engine.  You can make a plate to block of the side of the manifold just make sure you keep the PCV valve hooked up.  Water to the intake helps with cold weather.  I deleted it on mine.

Charlie69s%2066%20520%20L20b%20PVC.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

get on face book and check out down under datsuns  theres more 620 owners here than you would think and most have great parts cars stashed,  i myself drive a 76 620 daily and have 2 parts cars at my parents farm house

• Like 1

just seen these two trucks for sale on Facebook so i figure he didn't try hard enough,  i have had mine 6 months and made many connections for parts and help,  you just gotta dig as not a lot here and the owners all seem to stick together

• Like 2