Distributor question

JDMClassic

Hello,

Trying to get my truck started. I'm still pretty new with engine rebuilds and the electrical system. So me and my buddy frank narrowed down the problem to the ignition system. The truck won't fire. We checked the coil and it was good, we held the main spark line that connects to the coil to engine block and there was a spark. I'm thinking it's the distributor. Something's not letting the dizzy send electricity to the spark plugs. Is there a way to test the dizzy for proper function? We swapped out drizzys and still the same problem (won't fire). Before it would fire and bogged out and die now we can't get it to fire. I'm trying to figure out if I need to adjust my timing. But Frank said he had the timing dead on 5 years ago.

My question is since we swapped out drizzys do you think we need to re-do the timing? We started the engine each time we swapped drizzys

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same situation. Maybe check your firing order. Make sure the spark plug wires are in the right location on the distributor cap. And check your wires to thr coil. See if theres corrosion on the terminal connections. And check if your ground connections is good and clean. Check your battery too while your at it.

• Like 1

Do you have a timing light? A very simple way to see if you're getting spark is to put it on the plug wires and crank it over - if you see a flash that means you should be getting a spark. If you don't have a light, you can pull a plug, ground it and crank it - you should see a spark.

The fact that the same thing is happening with a 2nd distributor would indicate that the issue is somewhere else, however. What are the odds of both distributors having the same exact problem?

Another common thing to miss is the rotor - when messing around with distributors, people sometimes just forget to put the rotor back on. With no rotor, you'll definitely have no spark.

Do you have a timing light? A very simple way to see if you're getting spark is to put it on the plug wires and crank it over - if you see a flash that means you should be getting a spark. If you don't have a light, you can pull a plug, ground it and crank it - you should see a spark.

If you ground it, try not to ground yourself to it. It F@#$ing hurts lol.

start with the basics if you swapped distributors, bring number one piston up to top dead center on compression stroke, make sure rotor in distributor is pointing at number 1 spark plug wire, install plug wires on cap in firing order

It's a '79!!!! First year for the matchbox EI dizzy.

Spark at coil but none at the separate plug wires??? The spindle is clocked wrong and the rotor is pointing between plug wires.

Set at TDC #1 and look at rotor. Should be pointing to a lug on the cap above it. You may have to drop the oil pump and move the spindle ahead or back to get it under a wire. That becomes the new #1 then arrange the other wires.. 3 4 2 in a counter clockwise direction.

My question is since we swapped out drizzys do you think we need to re-do the timing?

you notice if the dizzy is exactly the same? rotor points in same spot when installed as the last one?

there were 2 matchbox type dizzys( location hooking to the pedastal might be off). I assume you installed another matchbox type dizzy

If you get spark from the coil then its a plug wire or rotor orienatation issue/mismatch

maybe you fogot to put the rotor back in ???? Id it fires at the coil then the dizzy is telling the coil to fire then the rotor sends it to the correct spot at the correct time