Power steering question

Dilligaf

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There appears to be two designed PS boxes for the 720. Up to Dec '82 and after Jan '83. The 2wd and 4 wd appear to be the same part numbers. Not sure if an '83 will fit where an '82 box was though.

The 2wd and 4wd pitman arms are different but should swap.

They are all the same, except there is a very early or late type that I have only seen a couple times in a 720.

The steering gears that have the 2 fittings pointing more or less up are the common type, they are all the same, what is different is the linkage that connects to the steering gear, 4wd trucks have a different upper control arm mount point I believe, as the rag joint is connected to the power steering gear and does not hit anything.

The 2wd non power steering equipped 720 also has the rag joint connected to the steering gear, but it is shorter than the power steering gear, so nothing hits on anything.

The power steering equipped 2wd 720s are different, the rag joint is up by the firewall, it is there for a reason, if you put a power steering gear setup in your 2wd 720 with a non power steering column, when you connect up your 2wd steering column linkage with the rag joint connected to the power steering gear, it will hit on the upper control arm, and since the 4wd trucks also have the rag joint down at the steering gear, it will also hit the upper control arm.

If you want power steering in your 2wd 720, you need to find a 2wd column and linkage with the rag joint up by the firewall to go with the power steering gear.

You know I never really thought about it being RHD, have you found a RHD power steering gear?

Your going to have a tough time, I have never been able to find a RHD power steering gear for a 2wd 720 anywhere, and I have been asking around, I have about 3 different people over there looking for a 4wd power steering gear, as I want one, we have the columns over here to make it bolt right together without any issues that I know of.

To answer your first question, the 4X4 power steering gear is the same as the 2wd  power steering gear if there was such a thing over there, the pitman arm might be different, but I believe that your 2wd pitman arm will fit on it, I could be wrong, but I believe it will fit.

If you were not going to use/buy that 720 4wd power steering gear, I will pay you to get it for me and ship it here, I will make it worth your time/effort.

All I need is the power steering gear, I need nothing else.

Wayno, check the '79 280zx PS box. It sits inside the frame on a LHD vehicle so if you move it over to the other side it would be on the outside of the frame on a 720. The '80-'81 S110 200sx is similar. Now these boxes are mounted behind the front wheels but all you do is turn the pitman arm 180 and it will work on a 620/720. This is how I got PS on my 620.

Wayno, check the '79 280zx PS box. It sits inside the frame on a LHD vehicle so if you move it over to the other side it would be on the outside of the frame on a 720. The '80-'81 S110 200sx is similar. Now these boxes are mounted behind the front wheels but all you do is turn the pitman arm 180 and it will work on a 620/720. This is how I got PS on my 620.

Thankyou, if this will actually work, it would save me a bundle of money.

I believe that Dilligaf can make the power steering gear work for himself, so I don't see him selling it to me, just one steering column mod and he likely is good for that part of the conversion, the rest is a piece of cake, I make my own brackets and such for the power steering pumps/lines/reservoirs every time I do a 521/720 build.