1980 B310 Daily Driver with NEW PAINT

Nascarkeith

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would really like to push my bumpers back. I've been looking at this post http://community.ratsun.net/topic/63503-my-datsun-210-1981-hatchback-from-puerto-rico/. I like the look but can't figure out what he means.

Did he just take the bumper loose from the frame and push it back?

I also tried drilling a hole in the bumper shock. I drilled from the bottom just in front of the radiator. Hydraulic fluid and gas came out but the bumper won't budge. Does the hole need to be in the front or rear?

I would really like to push my bumpers back. I've been looking at this post http://community.ratsun.net/topic/63503-my-datsun-210-1981-hatchback-from-puerto-rico/. I like the look but can't figure out what he means.

Did he just take the bumper loose from the frame and push it back?

I also tried drilling a hole in the bumper shock. I drilled from the bottom just in front of the radiator. Hydraulic fluid and gas came out but the bumper won't budge. Does the hole need to be in the front or rear?

I've been trying to decipher that thread as well. 

Gonna get under mine tomorrow to check it out. 

If the fluid came out you can either lay on the floor and kick it in or grab a dead blow hammer.

Laying on the floor and kicking did the trick.  Thanks.

I've been trying to decipher that thread as well. 

Gonna get under mine tomorrow to check it out. 

Yeah, its a sweet car but I can't figure what he means exactly.  I like the front lip, too.  I want to try and make something like that.  I think it is garden edging.  Googling Home Depot front spoiler brought up some stuff.

Since I changed the plugs and aired my tires up I have been getting 30 mpg and driving it daily.  The oil leak has stopped since I fixed the oil pressure switch.  The brakes started squealing so I fixed them last night.  Pads where in the pile of parts that came with it so another added bonus.

I drilled a hole in my bumper shocks and pushed them in.  Wear eye protection.  Hydraulic fluid comes out first then a burst of air when you go through the pressurized part of the shock.  Kick them in the first time.  Then, pull them out and push them back in a few times to get all of the fluid out.  After that, position them where you want.  I trimmed the front bumper ends and then realized it wasn't necessary on the rear.

5a12393e-2083-4630-afdf-f495276a7330_zps

57399658-085b-4c2c-81e2-84809699b780_zps

a18ffa73-e191-4d81-aa6d-f33380557080_zps

• Like 1

Thanks guys. No rear panel. It wasn't there when I got it. Is there any easy way to raise the rear bumper? I thought about just ditching it.

Nope there is not. Looks ok without the rear bumper. I have my filler panel still and I'm not going to putting it back on either. If your interested PM me. Looking good so far man, now for rim and Moar lower! You'll be all set.

:thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the input.  Still driving it pretty much everyday.  

With colder weather approaching I am trying to get the heater working.  Fan speed and temp selection work fine but I can only get air to come out of the top vents.  No floor or defrost.  I have taken the dash off and can't see any issues.  Any suggestions?

Yep. I know about Rock Auto. Thanks for the help, though. I'm sure I will need it.

I did some research and realized there should be a plug to connect to the oil pressure switch. Wiring for that plug is non-existent so I resoldered the hole close and covered it with JB Weld for good measure. We shall see if it still leaks.

So rather than fix the oil pressure switch and wiring... think about it, the wiring HAS to be there somewhere... you removed the sender and sealed the hole? This is insane. We shal see if the JB holds or not. If not you won't know because the oil light won't come on. You are risking an old oil burning engine doing this.

Thanks for the input.  Still driving it pretty much everyday.  

With colder weather approaching I am trying to get the heater working.  Fan speed and temp selection work fine but I can only get air to come out of the top vents.  No floor or defrost.  I have taken the dash off and can't see any issues.  Any suggestions?

Plugged air tubes? flapper valve not opening & closing properly?broken guide cables.

have looked at the free manuals on the Datsun 510 site? There may be one for your car (There's dozens)

I have looked at some manuals but not those. I will check them out. I can hear the flapper move. The control selecter was replaced before and may not be hooked up correctly. I also know there is a thermostat or something under the dash that jams causing it not to blow hot air. Is that left or right side? It didn't blow all of that warm this morning. Thanks for the help.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

8 month or so update.

I've been driving the car most days since I bought it.  I never did get the heater figured out.  I don't think the car has a thermostat so it never builds heat when its cold.  I got a dash mounted defroster and wired it in so that kept me warm enough most days.

The only issue I have had is over that last week it developed a miss.  I thought it was carb or fuel filter related so I ran some cleaner through the system and put a new fuel filter on.  That didn't fix it so I tried a new rotor button and distributor cap.  When that didn't work I pulled the plugs.  I put new ones in when I got the car so I didn't think that was it.  #4 was oil fouled and I found a bad spark plug wire.  I replaced all of the plugs and put new wires on and its good as new.  I couldn't find plug wires in town so I bought Duralast 1600 universal spark plug wires and cut them to fit.  They were $15.99 and for a V-8 so I have an extra set now.

8c4d9ca0-452b-4347-bd85-432719367e04_zps

d082daa9-fe01-47bc-a59d-d4450bbbe0fe_zps

a015b12f-8929-400c-8563-e3bff68e8d6a_zps

I put a JVC radio in and hooked up an old Kenwood amp and Fosgate 10 I had from college.  I feel like I am 19 again bumping bass.  I also bought new seat covers and a neighbor gave me the pedals and shift knob.

41c3e30a-c752-49ac-9ed5-b8b5b860900a_zps

54a9ddcf-40e5-4e12-955f-6a94b78c9bf5_zps

911c5ca6-46f0-48c8-b649-32a117e733cc_zps

Today, I got bored and took the rear bumper off and did a little work on the rear panel.  I hope to repair the dents and rust as best I can and paint it this summer.

d1964f7c-62f2-4181-adc0-330ff954c6f5_zps

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...